[Karthwasten release] Quest planning thread

All topics related to NPCs, Quests and Dialogue
berry
PT Modder

[Karthwasten release] Quest planning thread

Post by berry »

(feel free to outrightly edit this post with any data I missed/twisted)
A thread to sum up what plans we have, what is done and what needs to be done in the quest department for an upcoming release.

As a general rule, I think these outlines would be reasonable to follow:
  1. 1-2 miscellaneous quests for each region
  2. 1-2 miscellaneous quests for a settlement per each tier of it's size
Additionally, Vorndgad forest area (together with Karthgad) should slightly exceed these numbers - it'd be a central area of the release, so I think there should be much to do for players here.
Headings description
bold - main quest/faction
green - region
light blue - settlement

Quest status:
green - in development/finished
light blue - has an unclaimed claim thread created
bold - proposed
standard font - proposals
MAIN QUEST?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
FIGHTERS GUILD?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
THIEVES GUILD?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
KARTHWASTEN
  • Aladoer - find enchanted Direnni books for an Altmer bookseller
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
KARTHGAD
  • Mining for Worms - together with half-crazed Breton miner, kill the spikeworms haunting local mine
  • Falling in the back - go manhunting in the woods. The question is - who's a prey here?
  • Mouse among the Bears - there is a Wood Elf kidnapped by the Bear Clan. Buy his freedom, burst him out by force, or spread the news about the man to the Imperial autorities.
  • Hunting bandits - collect the bounties for the bandits from thane's huscarl (proposed by berry)
HAIMTIR
  • ?
URAMOK CAMP
  • Ways of Pig Children - inspired by the words of Uramok chieftain, kill Malacath followers in Malagrok cave. Despite their hatred, the chief doesn't want his tribe to get this done themselves, because giving up to a rage is not what a civilzed citizen of Empire would do. However, hypothetically speaking, if somebody killed these outlaws, the tribe would be quite grateful.
  • Find orichalcum - simple fetch quest. Find some orichalcum in the woods and bring it back to a shaman or a smith of Uramok orcs. (proposed by worsas)
VORNDGAD FOREST
  • Of hexes and horses - face Reach magic and aid a merchant in need in recovering her horses from the woods
  • Divided Loyalties - meet a torn Reachmen huntress and partake in a bloodletting at Jorhod's Lodge
  • ?
ALDKARTH LOWLANDS
  • Facing chicken menace - help Nord farmer in defeating a stealthy enemy that's killing his chickens
  • ?
DRUADACH HIGHLANDS
  • ?
  • ?
MIDKARTH/FALKIRSTAD
  • ?
  • ?
Quests heat map
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/d1omtOF.png[/hsimg]
Last edited by berry on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

What's the state of the "Falling in the back of other people" quest, actually? Using an account roerich provided me with, I tried to get the file TDF uploaded on the old boards, but I keep getting logged out. Weird.

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

I have a number of quest plans for Karthwasten and Karthgad (both misc and faction-related), but don't have time to write them out at the moment. Please take that into consideration when suggesting ideas.

Also, I love the format you've come up with for organizing this, berry.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Good call, Berry. I totally support using this as a basic layout for quests to give us some orientation.

It might be needed to think about the Reach main quest first to avoid any trouble or bad intersection with the misc quests at the side, as visible with Stirk currently.

We have two candidates: The conflict with Hammerfell/Sogat Dur Gada or a mythical event taking place, maybe an after echoe of the shadow key story... or a mixture or both. There is some intersection between the redguard insurgency and the thieves guild, so it would be useful to have a rough idea of what is happening in the mainquest.

Another general hurdle, we need to get out of the way, is the generic dialogue entries. I'd totally try to help on that end, if yeti wants to post his wip-esp-file. But again, I'm afraid, we need to finish those last exterior cells, so we have a file all the dialogue can be added to that circumpasses all the exterior cells of the last release + karthwasten.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like it and deem this effort necessary too.
Yeti wrote:I have a number of quest plans for Karthwasten and Karthgad (both misc and faction-related), but don't have time to write them out at the moment. Please take that into consideration when suggesting ideas.
Great! It'd be fantastic to have you contributing again, Yeti, it's always enjoyable to read your dialogues. I tried to base the proposals of these two quests (Ways of Pig Children and Mouse among the Bears) on the dialogues included in the file. These dialogue lines just scream loudly "Hey, you, adventurer! There's a quest here!", but I wasn't sure what exactly you had in mind for them. :)
worsas wrote:It might be needed to think about the Reach main quest first to avoid any trouble or bad intersection with the misc quests at the side, as visible with Stirk currently.

We have two candidates: The conflict with Hammerfell/Sogat Dur Gada or a mythical event taking place, maybe an after echoe of the shadow key story... or a mixture or both. There is some intersection between the redguard insurgency and the thieves guild, so it would be useful to have a rough idea of what is happening in the mainquest.
I second all of these.

The main problem a big political questline (or any questline of an epic caliber) would encounter is the Reach is not an isle, many 'players' greatly important for these lands reside in Markarth or Dragonstar etc. We should think of a way of handling it, and focus on local matters, strengthened by this metaphysical event... Also: Azra.

We might also just try tackling two main quest lines (like BM's prophecy and Raven Rock), but rather than making them fully self-contained I'd rather see the Y design - where they come from a common core, and then split up.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

A mainquest that splits up into two branches sounds like a great idea to me.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
PT Modder

Post by TerrifyingDaedricFoe »

berry wrote:What's the state of the "Falling in the back of other people" quest, actually? Using an account roerich provided me with, I tried to get the file TDF uploaded on the old boards, but I keep getting logged out. Weird.
I don't believe there's anything worth salvaging from what little I did. I can go digging around my computer to find the file if you want to take a look.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

If that wouldn't be too much of a trouble for you, then sure. Little is always better than nothing. This quest isn't probably of highest priority as for now too - Karthgad dialogues should be implemented first.

---

I edited the first post with the heat map presenting settlements of a possible release area and locations of currently settled quests. edit: I used the map file provided by Luxray, of course. :)

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
PT Modder

Post by TerrifyingDaedricFoe »

This is it.
Attachments
Sky_KG_DoubleCross.ESP
(17.9 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

OK so now we have a NPC'd Karthgad/Karthwasten the work on the quests can begin. What sort of number of quests want to be done for a release candidate?

So far we have 4 quests by Berry that are complete or near completion.

I would suggest for the KW-release to have the 4 Misc quests for Karthwasten, the Thieves Guild questline for Karthwasten (6), 2 additional quests for Karthgad (for a total of 4) and the 2 quests for the Uramok camp. This would give us a total of 16 quests, meaning 12 to implement between now and release.

We could implement some small quests in the KW Fighters Guild but it may be better to wait until more areas of the Reach are release ready. If full quests not implemented for this release, perhaps as a holdover members of the Fighters Guild could give you hints towards some of the more interesting caves to clear out, to point people in the direction of things to play.

We've come up with some nice ideas for the political intrigue and tension in the Reach but any Mainquest needs to wait for future cities to be completed (Markarth/Dragonstar). Perhaps 1 suggestion for a Misc KW quest could lay out the situation in the city? I'm not sure what that could be though.

Feel free to suggest any modifications/ideas about this plan. Pending my fixes on the skyrim mainfile, I can start work on any of the suggested.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Sounds terrific. Having just two or three odd FG jobs could be cool. Really basic stuff - kill "Bad Dude" in cave or lounging around somewhere on the road, get bounty, guild gets a cut, you get those sweet guild privileges and free potions. Better than nothing IMO, and a proper questline can always be added. Vanilla had these entry level quests as well.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Yeti
Lead Dev

Post by Yeti »

I have ideas for Karthwasten's FG quests (and the beginnings of a potential "main quest" idea that begins in Karthwasten about investigating the Sogat Dur-Gada). I can write them up into a post if needed. Doing a full set of faction quests can be difficult, though, and would probably push the release a ways into the summer. That, and we'd have to figure out how we handle faction rep and rank advancement.

So far, there are a couple dialogue entries I've written that can lead into possible quests, though I haven't figured out the exact details for many of them.

Karthgad
What a fool I was to trust that hairy bastard. I called S’Viir my comrade, and how did the scoundrel repay me? He made off with loot that, by oath and sword, rightfully belongs to me. Stashed it somewhere in the woods, I wager. Maybe you could get him to cough up his hiding spot?
Not sure how to go about this. Interrogating S'Virr to give up the hiding spot? Finding a clue in his house? Asking hunters in teh village if they've seen him sneaking around the woods? I don't know where to put hiding spot either.

Karthwasten
latest rumor wrote:A missionary from the Imperial Cult chapel went missing months ago. She hiked out into the Druadach Highlands to proselytize the Natives and never returned. Her fate weighs heavily on Ranus Jaldo, the chapel priest.
Note to self: changed Ranus Jaldo to Dada-Dar in this rumor.
Dada-Dar wrote:Many, many moons ago, the kind Carincia Pontus set out to preach among the native tribes. A hopeless undertaking if there ever was one! Dada-Dar now fears she will never return from the clutches of those devils. You are a traveler, are you not? Would you search for her?
The idea here is for the player to search for the missionary around the Druadach Highlands, following vague directions along the way. Villagers in Haimtír will suggest asking around the Reachmen camp in -109,6. The tribespeople there will remember her and her "babbling nonsense" and will admit they drove her off, throwing rocks and shooting stray arrows, and that she fled to the southeast. Following that direction, the player will find her held captive in a cave by goblins (the existing interior might need slight modifications to accommodate a prisoner.
little advice wrote:Keep clear of Rilor Draan’s house in the Outskirts. He’s a nasty sort. Nobody knows -- or wants to know -- what he keeps busy with.
Rilor Draan is a necromancer. Maybe he can ask the player to do a unsavory errand for him. Raiding a barrow or providing a "fresh" corpse for his experiments. Something like that.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

I like that necromancer idea, would be a good way to introduce the perils of skyrim's barrows compared to vanilla mw's tombs.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Small quest idea for the Boar Snout Clan: One of the members will ask you to find and steal back 14 bottles of Reach Wine that got confiscated by the city guard after a recent punch-up in one of Karthwasten taverns. The bottles are hidden somewhere in one of the many guard houses.

Return to “SHotN Characters & Questing”