Jiub's Projects

Model, texture and sound development of P:C
worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Jiub, could you upload your updated slaughterfish and maybe that one tapestry texture you updated so we can have the last model updates for Stirk in one go, when infragris also uploads the updated golden rod and tigerlilly? I would like to have all of these in before we have release or data merge.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

We would also need the Gold Coast guard armor.

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Yeah, not much energy for messing with the CS tonight, but sometime this week I'll get this stuff uploaded. My game is glitching out and not showing my textures (defaulting to what's in the BSA), so I'm not able to test a lot of my stuff (new tapestries, for instance) but maybe y'all can take a look for me :)

I did have some time to play with GIMP tonight, made another Reman mural to complement the Alessia mosaic:

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/ivdZqHG.png[/hsimg]

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I like him even more than the last one. Perhaps the amulet of kings should be a bit smaller, though. And the laurel wreath should maybe not cover his entire scalp, otherwise it'll look like a kind of green wig.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Thanks, I'm pretty proud of this one too :) Hm, I see what you mean though. I probably should have kept those elements separate from the head on the psd file, lol. Unfortunately the layers are all jumbled together now, which makes those types of edits tricky. Sorry :(

I did add more defining lines and highlights though, hopefully now it will read more as "wreath" even from a distance
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/AWphTdd.png[/hsimg]

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

That looks even better. These Reman-themed fresco's could maybe be integrated into the old fortress tileset.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Saint Jiub,

how does it look? Can you upload your slaughterfish and the updated gold coast guard armor this week, so we can close in on Stirk assets?

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Saint_Jiub wrote:He kinda needs some alpha planes modeled around the groin area like the Oblivion minotaur had, so I can hide both the Ken doll anatomy and the UV oddities in that area- possibly on the back of his head and neck as well for a mane? Also, what would it look like if you kept the closed mouth but gave him his teeth back? Or at least, square the teeth off rather than the fangs the Skyrim version had?

I'd also appreciate horn variants if you feel up to it. I mocked up a few ideas:
Gave teeth back, tried different horns. How's this:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... 0horns.jpg[/hsimg]

Also, notice the region around the eyes - I think the texture doesn't correctly correspond to the model there.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I must admit, I don't have a strong preference for this over its current version. But if you want to incorporate the teeth, maybe darken them. They look very clean right now.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

worsas wrote:I must admit, I don't have a strong preference for this over its current version. But if you want to incorporate the teeth, maybe darken them. They look very clean right now.
This second variant could be used for "Minotaur Lords" or something like that.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Added a plane for fur to the groin area too. Here are the two updated models:
pc_mino.rar
(860.35 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
If we go Minotaur Lord route with the second variant, may I propose adding some sort of engravings on the horns? Kinda like what we see on Skyrim's mammoths.
Also, I think the minos would look better if their eyes were more humanlike - with bright sclera and visible pupil.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Still need to work on the minotaur when I have some time, but I was able to take a break from studying and play around with some of my template files to get the Sutch wall hangings going:

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/n8F5jPw.png[/hsimg]

I decided that the general guideline I'm going to follow is that the baronies will all follow a monochromatic color scheme with the same banner shapes, while each county seat will have a unique banner shape and coloration/pattern.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Why was Sutch assigned the minotaur emblem again? Thinking about it, I'm wondering if we shouldn't give them a more Redguard-inspired insignia (curved sword w/ grapevine?) and keep the Minotaur for a more overt Colovian barony, like Sarchal or Hastrel. Other than that, I really like these flags and the reasoning behind the color scheme.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Way back when I first joined the team, SamirA had drawn some city crest concepts that were closer to Oblivion's in style, Stirk's was a bird flying over a seascape and Sutch's was a stylized bull's head (with like some Celtic knots and stuff). Even after Revenant came up with the current version of the Stirk banner, it still retained elements of that original concept, so I wanted to make sure I was honoring that artwork as well.

In-game, the Imperial occupation of Sutch is very tenuous thanks to the Kali Mes, and they would want to broadcast their cultural superiority at every turn- Legion banners and bull's-heads should be equally common in Imperial controlled parts of the city.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I tend to think of Minotaurs as a First Empire emblem, with the Second and Third Empire using more Snake or Dragon motifs. The Septims have no actual connection to the Morihaus bloodline, so their pawns would not think it logical to use that iconography. At least, that's how I see it. Using a minotaur emblem would be more fashionable for reactionary groups, who long for the past glory of the Empire's legend days. I don't know.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Hm, I see your point. I'll play around with it a little more. I'm trying to keep an animal thing going for the baronies, so probably a lion for Sutch - the sword and grapevine would be a good symbol for the duke of Colovia though (are we still going with Kvatch as a ducal seat?)

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/DpcoF3l.png[/hsimg]

EDIT: Did a revised Skingrad flag too - I noticed that my Skingrad emblem is pretty similar to that one coat of arms shield thingy from vanilla, so the color scheme is based off of that and at some point down the road the little shields in the data file are next on my list to redo :twisted:

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I think so, yes. Kvatch is both a county and the ducal seat: the ducal rank is comparable to Duke Vedam Dren of Vvardenfell (though the Duke of Colovia has a lot more say in the Empire's affairs). The Duke, Haderus Goldwine, doubles as the master of the Colo-Nordic faction. He has granted management of the county to one of his relatives, who acts as Count of Kvatch. I suppose Kvatch could have double flags, with both ducal en county emblems hanging side by side or dependant on the context.

Sword and grapevine would be an excellent emblem for the Duke, yes.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Kvatch flag, quartered with the traditional arms of the Duchy of Colovia:

[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/nHE1nzD.png[/hsimg]

It needs tweaking, some of the elements aren't centered the way I want them to be, but this is the general idea anyhow.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

That looks extremely nice. It's amazing how fast you can make these.

About the noble ranks: how far do you want to go with these personalized banners? These are the places that I would tentatively call baronies: Stirk, Sutch, Brina Cross (?), Hal Verovar, Hal Vincherik, Sarchal, Dethagrad, and Artemon. I'm not 100% sure about these, as some could be lower-ranked domains. Beneath the rank of Baron is the unimaginatively titled Lord rank: the rulers of smaller estates like Shardrock, Brina Cross (not sure?), as well as Lords who live in the cities or in countryside fortresses, and have claims on wilderness and farmland without large settlements (there is a small noble estate south of Sutch, for example). In line with what you said about the style difference between ducal/county/barony flags, we could have a lowest category of Lordship flags with simple geometric patterns and colors: sideways or vertical stripes, diamond patterns, etc. What do you think?

Just out of idle curiosity: what do you imagine the emblems of the eastern nobility to look like?

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I was considering the baronies to be any of the cities with at least a two-cell footprint on your map, so Stirk, Sutch, Sarchal, and Artemon. I think IRL the rank of knight falls below baron, so would a good designation for the minor lords be the Knights of the Imperial Dragon (the top of the vanilla Legion questline)? It adds some in-universe depth to what's otherwise just an arbitrary quest progression if a noble knight gets an estate and some prestige along with his/her title. And yeah, I think some super simple flags for these towns would be pretty easily doable :)

For Nibenay, the only thing that I know for certain right now is that I'm not going to use animal heraldic charges- with the Nibenese totem-religion, taking an animal as your personal crest would be considered taboo. Right now, I'll probably be drawing from Islamic inspirations (that geometric style that originated from proscriptions against depicting sentient beings) and floral motifs like the thorns/roses for Cheydinhal in vanilla Oblivion.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Going straight from Baron to Knight is probably the best solution, though I would not connect this to the Imperial Legion progression. According to lore, most common troopers already get a piece of territory in the provinces. We don't want to give the impression that a noble Knight of the Imperial Dragon is the equal to some no-name farmer-knight out on the Reserve. I think the most logical way of seeing it is that the Legion automatically bestows a knightly title on commanders to avoid commoners having control over the military forces. These "knights" technically hold estates in the shape of their designated fortresses and outposts, which they manage in the name of the Emperor. A useful legal fiction.

I'll try to put up an overview of the Colo-Nordic nobility so that we can get an idea of the amount of work/complexity.

Good point on the animal emblems. Nibenese iconography could maybe lean towards philosophical concepts: the lotus, the wheel, the moons, the staff, stuff like that.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Those banners look extremely cool, Saint Jiub. Nice work.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Thanks worsas, I appreciate it :)

OK, so here's the finalized Kvatch flag:
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/fqWXy12.png[/hsimg]

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Getting fairly close to done with the revised guard armors too, I decided to just go with a single cuirass variant for each of the major regions (Gold Coast and upper and lower Highlands), individual plume colors for each of the counties and baronies, and a plumeless variant for random patrols, small villages, etc. Haven't made up my mind on how I want to do shields yet, right now my thought is to just give them the vanilla Imperial shield and not sweat it, but I'd be curious to hear other peoples' opinions.

Cataphract Mail
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/cvMCCFU.png[/hsimg]

Klibanion Mail
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/VLGUMck.png[/hsimg]

Kalantar Mail
[hsimg=]http://i.imgur.com/uWvHDBI.png[/hsimg]

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Looks really nice!
Saint_Jiub wrote:Haven't made up my mind on how I want to do shields yet, right now my thought is to just give them the vanilla Imperial shield and not sweat it, but I'd be curious to hear other peoples' opinions.
Round or oval parma shields, maybe?
[hsimg=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Pferd.jpg[/hsimg]

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

These look amazing. The plumeless variations should imho also be added to leveled lists and vendors: guards in Morrowind didn't have exclusive armors either, after all. I quite like the names, too.

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Thanks guys :)

Okay, so working on getting these in-game and the klibanion cuirass isn't actually quite ready to go - would somebody have time to make some model edits for me? I need the sleeves separated from each other so I can make left and right pauldrons, and right now they're occupying the chest slot.

If somebody felt up to modeling on some of the details, especially the belt and on the shoulders, I would appreciate it too, but that's obviously not a priority yet. If nothing else, if somebody could make the above changes so I can get it working in game, I'd appreciate it :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw24lm821ug6n ... d.zip?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Saint_Jiub wrote: Okay, so working on getting these in-game and the klibanion cuirass isn't actually quite ready to go - would somebody have time to make some model edits for me? I need the sleeves separated from each other so I can make left and right pauldrons, and right now they're occupying the chest slot.
I hope I didn't screw up anything:
PC_A_WWGuardCuirass_C2.nif
(57.11 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

Saint_Jiub

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Thanks for looking at it for me, I don't think your fixed mesh is actually rigged to the skeleton though. When I tested it in the CS the armor pieces are all showing up at the NPC's feet. This is the part that I'm no good at, unfortunately lol.

The oval shield is cool, would you be willing to model it up for me? I'll take care of texturing if you can get it modeled and UV mapped :)

EDIT: Actually, if you are up for it, could you do a round one and an oval one? That way we can designate one as a shield and one as a tower shield in game.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Whoops! Figures I would screw up. Try this one:
PC_A_WWGuardCuirass_C3.nif
(57.11 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
The oval shield is cool, would you be willing to model it up for me? I'll take care of texturing if you can get it modeled and UV mapped
Sure! A soon as I finish the barrow chests.
EDIT: Actually, if you are up for it, could you do a round one and an oval one? That way we can designate one as a shield and one as a tower shield in game.
I don't think the oval shield from above is large enough to qualify as a tower shield... Then again, looking at vanilla shield models, it might as well.

Return to “P:C Asset Development”