Hjaalmarch reference photos

All concept art for SHotN
roerich
Cruel Warlord

Hjaalmarch reference photos

Post by roerich »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Biboran
Forumite

Post by Biboran »

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Nice pics everyone, I'm just afraid it'll not make for very interesting landscapes to explore. We'll have to design a region concept that features some more interesting terrain and definitely more rocks/flora/whatevs. I do like to believe TES:V didn't do particularly badly.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

ImageImageImageImage

Messed around in the CS with the above concepts. Scamp, I see what you're saying about making the area interesting to explore and not just visually pleasing. I think we can make a labyrinth of small islands, rocks and twisted roads, with lots of places for ambushes and a general dangerous environment. The whole region should almost always be covered in a deep fog, making it interesting to explore because you can't see 20 cells ahead of you, compared to the Reach regions. You could come upon crude old sunken stone ruins and isolated trapper camps.

Btw, I have a weird texture error with one of the shrub meshes, making them appear all white.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Looks like a nice start. I love that fog. I think it would be better to use the rocks with a slight snow overlay to make everything look more frost-affected. We should make sure to use a different soil later on.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Looks nice - but as Worsas said, the ice doesn't blend particularly well with the dry and greyish environment. Maybe adding some snow will help.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'm all for that. I just had to use what was available. :-D
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

In the cells 87,19+20 and the neighbouring cells in the landmass file there is something that seems like a preliminary attempt at the Hjaalmarch region. I admit it looks rather cool ingame. Maybe merge some of it into your ongoing region development?

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

This is TES V concept art for Riften, but it very much looks like how I've imagined Morthal and Hjaalmarch settlements in general to look and feel. The small boats on the right is something that I'd want to see as well, giving the Hjaalmen the ability to traverse the labyrinthian water networks of the marshes.
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Looks like they decided to ditch most of their concept art in the last minute to replace it with generic architecture and boring layouts.

On topic: Looks pretty nice, I'd welcome the change in how we'll have to design our layouts to something that includes more water. What's that in the background? A lighthouse of some sort? I can imagine makeshifted (in the real sense) wooden towers with lights on top, perhaps guiding boats through the fog.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Architecture:

Round houses for smaller villages
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stave buildings for Morthal
ImageImageImageImageImage

Closest Morthal inspiration I could find. Ideally something closer to the Riften concept art above.
- Taniquetil

Ted
Forumite

Post by Ted »

ImageImageImageImage

Like this? This is the city on the lake from Hobbit 2 movie

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

roerich wrote:Architecture:

Round houses for smaller villages.
There is actually a resource for that kind of house here, look under the "tribal hut". Some days ago I was trying how would it look like with our textures and I think the result's not bad:

ImageImage ImageImage

Those palisades could be handy too, by the way. :P

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Not too bad! Nice find. A new texture would be needed, especially to distinguish it from the Reachman set. I've thought about whaleskin tents too.

Those palisades are rather nice, yeah. Would be cool to have some different palisade options to choose from, I suspect we'll use palisades for plenty of settlements in the future.

I've always loved those paper resources of Lady N's as well.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Hjaal
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

- Taniquetil

Return to “SHotN Concept Art”