Post by roerich »

Reviving and reposting this thread from here the old forums

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Didn't berry already make that first picture as part of his Druadachs claim? :)

The system works!!
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I think so!

A view of the Dragonfields from the south. In the background we see the Dragontail Mts. transforming into the mesas of the Druadach Highlands. The small mesa next to Dragonstar can be seen in the foreground on the right, Dragonstar is just outside the picture.
Source
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

I thought about college of Winterhold seeing these certain shapes, it's quite interesting idea for a set of buildings,

When it comes about wide cliffs and mountain slops it would be very natural to arrange a sort of floral rock shelf enviro:
Image and even a small settlement / barrow Image

We already have in-cave narrow canyons, lovely to have them in the exterior world:
ImageImage

some other pre-occupated locations abandoned or destroyed by nature
ImageImage

pass between peaks
ImageImage

so in love with this tonight...

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

Some pictures, hopefully something might be useful, I tried to pick some interesting ones. Is it okay to leave them here?

Southern River
ImageImageImage

Stone Columns
ImageImageImage

Whiterun
ImageImageImage

North
ImageImageImage

Northern River
ImageImageImage

Mountains
ImageImageImage

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Is it okay to leave them here?
Sure. Nice photos.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Yup, this thread is pretty much free-for-all. A place to share interesting and inspirational pictures of Skyrim-relevant landscapes.

And nice stuff indeed. The Whiterun photos are spot on.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

ImageImage
Northshore

ImageImage
Saarthal
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Interesting rock formation (again from Skye)
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Silly Luxray, that's clearly Colovia.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Solitary mountains and vasts forests encircles Lake Ilinalta of Falkrentheim.
ImageImageImage

The high altitude tundra plateau of White Hold is home to large herds of wildlife.

The Jeralls. Impassable most of the year, except for the daring caravans going through Pale Pass.
ImageImage

Approaching the majestic Mount Arnthor near Winterhold, one can see remains of some of the earliest Atmoran settlement.

Legendary Snow-Throat.
- Taniquetil

Fullmetalnyuu
Forumite

Post by Fullmetalnyuu »

Hey guys, I was just browsing on tumblr and came across some interesting architecture that I thought might fit into the forests of The Rift or Falkreath holds. Translated from http://www.agetorp.se/backstugan/backstugan.htm: In the early 1800s a man named Little Jon lived in this so called earth cabin (swe. ‘backstuga’) located in southern Småland, Sweden. An earthen cabin is built partially buried in the ground, in this case there’s three walls of stone and one wall made of wood. In Sweden earthen cabins was common in the forests from the 1600s until the late 1800s

Image Image Image

Here are some interiors:

Image Image Image

I think it'd be interesting to happen upon little homes like this in the woods of Skyrim, inhabited by alchemists or hunters. Thoughts?
Sheathe your swords. Lay your shields on the ground. You will need no weapon and no armor, for the Magicka within you will be your guard and your guide from this day forward.

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Welcome! That is indeed an interesting concept. Thanks for sharing it :)

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Velkommen på brættet!

Indeed, those would be nice to have for the more forested areas. I once makeshifted something like this for a witch cabin, but it hasn't made it into our mod yet. Would also make great homes for hermits, highwaymen and small Hörme groups.
- Taniquetil

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Allright, a few hours of makeshifting later...

Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Here's the cabin of a solitary hunter/trapper type character, using the cabin as a seasonal home when out hunting for longer periods of time. This would fit nicely in a small grove in the southern Solitude Forest. It would actually also be a nice player home. The (possibly aging) hunter could give the player the location of the cabin (and his blessing to use it), after doing a small task or whatever for him.

This was quite fun to make, but obviously a finished set would be easier to implement more commonly. Hardly a priority right now though, and I think makeshifting goes a long way. The interior can manage (although I'm nearing my quota for using galleon meshes outside of their natural habitat), but the exterior would really benefit from a moss-covered roof.

Edit: It's possible to make the roof look good better as well with available assets.
Attachments
Sky_cabintest.ESP
(15.61 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Wow, that looks rad as hell :o I can't believe I missed this discussion and the proof of concept. It would be fantastic to have some assets like these; three possible ways to employ that idea come to my mind:
  • a forest cottage, pretty much as seen in roerich's concept, with two grass textures - one for Haafinheim and one for Falkreath
  • White Hold tundra houses, with shingle or thatch roofs starting to be overgrown with local brown/orange grass; also I can't help but I'd love to see Whiterun houses having whitewashed walls - maybe we could use Nord farm set as a basis for retexturing?
    Image Image
  • Hjaal houses - a burrow in the swampy hill in fact, with just a wooden facade. Like this ↓, but much more savage and run-down, to be accompanied with tribal huts.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Snow whale
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

We're not actually going to have snow whales, are we? Might as well include the Dirt Patch then :D

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Implementing them as creatures ingame probably isn't feasible, no. But I wouldn't mind references to them in the most remote mountainous areas, like: dialogue references, echoing whale noises as a random wilderness sound, whalebones found across the frozen peaks, etc.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/79265/?

And, we already have the Dirt Patch texture
- Taniquetil

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Oh, I'd love to see some of those whale bones high up in the mountains. That would certainly add a very nice touch for anyone familiar with the story.

Tes96
PT Modder

Post by Tes96 »

These pictures are all great but many of them lack snow. The 1st PGE seems to imply that most of Skyrim is snow (apart from the southwestern border like the Reach) and not how it's portrayed in TES 5. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Tes96 wrote:These pictures are all great but many of them lack snow.
Well, the idea isn't to implement exactly what's seen on those pictures. Besides, most of Skyrim is snow, but not all of it, especially not some of the holds and regions specifically mentioned in these posts (such as the Druadach Highlands).

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Kilkreath mountains as seen from Haafinheim:

Oh Bother
Pleb

Post by Oh Bother »

berry has a good point with the sod roofs, but I think they should be fairly widespread in rural areas of most of the warmer holds. (They'd still serve to insulate pretty well in the snowier holds but you won't be able to see the dirt under the snow, so.)

In medieval Scandinavia, sod roofs were extremely common because dirt is cheap and it insulates better than homes made out of only wood and/or stone. I was extremely disappointed when all the homes in Skyrim had thatch or tile roofs. Wiki has a good rundown of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sod_roof

Particularly interesting to me is this reconstruction of a Viking-age chapel and longhouse in Iceland, both with sod roofs.
ImageImage

Of course, those are in much better shape than the ones in Skyrim ought to be, so they'll probably be more akin to these ones.
ImageImageImageImage
(That last one is actually in Montana but I think it fits the theme)

This also allows for roof goats, which, if they could be properly implemented, I think would add a nice little bit of extra weirdness to the world.

liamewilliam
Pleb

Post by liamewilliam »

All these pictures are so beautiful. These landscaping ideas are amazing.

henrywilson03
Forumite

Post by henrywilson03 »

Stunning landscaping shots!!

medricmozz
Pleb

Post by medricmozz »

These landscaping ideas are really nice. All the photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots.

sarahmark
Pleb

Post by sarahmark »

I really liked all the landscaping designs you shared in this thread. Please keep sharing!

PeLe18
Pleb

Post by PeLe18 »

Wow, maybe we should start building houses with sod roofs again? I can't be the only one who likes the look medieval scandinavia had going on

pirosmani99
Forumite

Post by pirosmani99 »

Love all these photos, but especially the sod roofing and goats. Excited to see what comes of these inspirations in game.

Return to “SHotN Concept Art”