Possible Slavic Inspiration for Skyrim/Nords

All concept art for SHotN
vrolok
PT Modder

Possible Slavic Inspiration for Skyrim/Nords

Post by vrolok »

Okay, I wanted to post this topic into SHotN category, but it's closed, so I'll just post it here. If you guys like it, you can move it to SHotN concepts. I will be glad to see some elements incorporated into the mod.

I have many interesting pictures of old Russian/Slavic style. Architecture, Armour, Clothes, etc. Both from inspired Fantasy and real Historical stuff.

Now, I know that Nords in Tamriel are based on Scandinavians, not Slavs. It's true. But I believe that it's possible to incorporate some Slavic elements into Nords' culture, especially considering many similarities between ancient Slavs and Scandinavians in culture and style. I am not saying that Nords should be changed, I just think that it might provide bigger diversity in Skyrim's culture and style if some elements are incorporated. Not much, but a little bit wouldn't hurt in my opinion.

I will provide some example pictures, but I have many more to share. And if anything, they just look cool :D

Prince (Ruler) Sviatoslav the Brave

Real Historical stuff
Helmets (isn't the bottom left half mask familiar to anyone?)
Mail and Scale Armor
Chainmail
Shields

Bards
Bard's Tale
Keeper of the Tradition
Bard and his apprentices
Song before the Battle

Characters
Prince
Noble Woman
Herbalist
Huntress

People and Rituals
Holiday in the Village
Warrior's Night
Summer Night Ritual
Warrior's Rite

Architecture

Wood Carving

Interior

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

In the past Slavic influences on the Nords has been a topic, but it fell asleep over time. I generally tend to look only for what already exists for reference (how bethesda has portrayed them so far) rather than searching for exotic influences. And I'm sure that many opportunities went lost at it.

I love how colorful and ornate everything is.

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

worsas wrote:In the past Slavic influences on the Nords has been a topic, but it fell asleep over time. I generally tend to look only for what already exists for reference (how bethesda has portrayed them so far) rather than searching for exotic influences. And I'm sure that many opportunities went lost at it.

I love how colorful and ornate everything is.
Okay, I understand and thanks for the reply :D I will probably send more in the future, especially if I think it might suit a particular place in SHotN.
I just think that since it's Morrowind and game world is going to be so much bigger and rich in culture, it might use additional sources of inspiration.

For instance, look at the bards in the pictures. Skyrim bards were portrayed rather poorly by Bethesda in my opinion. Most bards in Skyrim are young people, who sing songs for entertainment like Ragnar the Red. Sometimes they will sing some sort of call to arms or a sort of prophecy of Dragonborn. Yet it always felt cheesy to me.

The bards portrayed here are very different. They are old and wise, they keep the knowledge and the tradition flowing through their tales and songs. Their performance is often entertaining, but it's not the real reason they exist. They are much more important characters than simple troubadours.

Granted, there are many books in Skyrim, so roles of bards are probably not as important as in real life, yet I feel that Bards should be a major institute in Nordic society. They should know a lot about the past, about the future. Their role is to inspire warriors, teach children, advice jarls and more. That's how I see bards could be portrayed in SHotN and the look from the pictures might help inspire this image. What do you think?

Ted
Forumite

Post by Ted »

I very like ideas of Slavic stuff, like Falkreath with knez choromas, but in my opinion it is not necessary to copy all as it is in real life.

Anyway possible to pay attention to the other nations of the region.
Like Karelian

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

Ted wrote:I very like ideas of slavic stuff, like Falkreath with knez choromas, but in my opinion it is not necessary to copy all as it is in real life.

Anyway possible to pay attention to the other nations of the region.
Like Karelian
No, no copying, just some inspiration, some motifs, that's for sure. And yeah, I believe other sources of inspiration will also be good. Finnish and Karelian are perfectly fine. Maybe some others as well.

I've always felt that Skaal in TES III had inspiration from native Americans (aboriginals or Indians, however you like to call them). Skaal in TES V Dragonborn seemed to be inspired by Eskimo, who are related to native Americans. So the sources for inspiration can be many, not only North European.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I think concepts like these will be very valuable for the Bruma-Falkreath areas, where Nordic, Nibenese and Colovian aspects intermingle. Quite interesting stuff.

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

These might provide interesting clothes for the nobility or the rich of either Bruma, Falkreath or any other places you might think of. They are slightly more refined than your average Skyrim jarls, might be considered due to some Imperial influence

ImageImageImageImageImage

Ted
Forumite

Post by Ted »

I don't like modern cosplayers. Looks like unrealistic and like it from 1950s cartoons based on Pushkin's poems. I more like pictures with slavic fantasy motifs.
Random pictures from Google

Image Image

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

Strictly speaking, they are not cosplayers. These are actual clothes made by a famous designer, who bases her works on traditional clothing. Keep in mind that one male doublet costs at least $1000, so yeah. They are of later period than the ones you have posted, so they are different. I just think that they kinda give that feeling of both Nord and Imperial influence. And they do represent historical clothes pretty well with few minor differences.

Here are some examples of older and simpler clothes, which are similar to the one you have in your pictures. These were worn by both nobles and commoners. Symbols on the clothes told about person's family and occupation:
ImageImage

spineinside
SHotN Jarl of Assets

Post by spineinside »

I love this thread and concepts , especially this invoked idea for a determined clothes for bards which I truly like the most, I think we can get deeper into a symbolism of a Slavic fancywork ornaments to give some new perspectives in relation to the world. I mean attach the certain pattern to something extraordinary or "privileged" for a guild or a specialization, if it was mentioned before I apologize.

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

Some more stuff for inspiration. Maybe some of it can go to the good use if you see anything you like or consider useful:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ted
Forumite

Post by Ted »

Some pics from old historical tv show

shrekasantrasis
Forumite

Post by shrekasantrasis »

I'd use the original rus culture, instead of the later one in which plated mail and shishaks are depicted. Those are mongol influenced primarily.

Return to “SHotN Concept Art”