Region Inspirations

See our concept art and post your own if you like!
Infragris
Project Administrator

Region Inspirations

Post by Infragris »

PART 1: COLOVIA

Castle Umbranox, the sentinel keep of Anvil, was founded after the defeat of Anvil's notorious pirate fleet. Its design still echoes a certain vigilance towards the sea.

Artist's impression of the Gold Coast (maybe we can replace one of our current painting textures with this?)

View of the northern cliffs. Small fishing villages like Thresvy and Seppaki cling to these narrow strips of shore, frequently battered by storms.
Image Image Image

The north bank of Lake Oloman, known to Redguard locals as the Lan Taifoi Hai [Lake of 25 Swords], referencing a local legend. The city of Sutch is not far off.

The Pass of Kvatch is known for its barren ground, bad weather, and the high tariffs the Duke imposes on traffic. Still, it is the best path to the Heartlands, save for the dangerous tracks of the Highlands.
Image Image Image

The citizens of Kvatch cling to their hill: despite living in a vast, empty valley, no true Kvatchi would consider building his house anywhere else. This leads to some interesting design choices.
Image Image

Impressions of the Colovian Highlands.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

A Colovian Cliff-Fortress. Its owner, Baron Hastrel, is considered a ringleader in the Free Estates Movement.

In sharp contrast to the surrounding regions, the rolling hills of the West Weald are wealthy, civilized, and free of dangers.
Image Image Image Image Image

The proud city of Sarchal, once a sovereign kingdom, is now reduced to a provincial center in County Skingrad. The city's towers still suggest some faded glory.
Image Image

View of Skingrad, as seen from the Count's palace.

The Massiqueran Forest is considered the least of Cyrodiil's great jungles. Its deciduous flora makes it somewhat more familiar to visitors from the north, though no less dangerous.
Image Image Image Image

The Black Road, not far from Chorrol. Imperial construction work at its finest.

The Barrowlands are one of the most lifeless and arid places in Cyrodiil. Apart from the pilgrims and mad prophets of Sancre Tor, they support no life.

The mausoleum of the Remanites is the largest burial complex in Sancre Tor, save for the sacred underground city itself.

The Jerall Mountains, as seen from the Highlands.

Views of the Jerall Mountains.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Less courageous merchants prefer the lowland passes of the Black Road, and will trek around for miles to avoid the frozen terror of Pale Pass.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

PART 2: THE HEARTLANDS

The Ruma Floodlands form the western bank of Lake Rumare, offically known as the Ora Rumancra. Many small rivers and creeks gather here, forming a morass of jeweled pools and treacherous thickets.

Much of the Heartlands consists of endless ricefields, dotted with small farms and densely populated villages. Bucolic views of the farmlands and Lake Rumare are a popular subject in Nibenese art, especially among the urban elite who have little to no experience with the realities of rural life.
Image Image Image Image

The Ora Demergatur, also known as the Drowned Shore, was a prosperous agrarian region until a fatal dam break and flooding a couple of years ago. Political gridlock in the Council has stalled attempts at rebuilding, leaving the shore a muddy and dangerous wasteland.
Image Image

Heartlands townships like Rema, Delodiil, Weye or Quenti Turrai crowd around the Imperial City like courtiers around a king.

The slums of the Outer Islands and Waterfront Districts form a stark contrast to the lofty towers of the Imperial City.
Image Image Image Image

Busy traffic at Katariah Docks.
Image Image

Several views of the residential isles and market district.

A merchant's shop in Silk Street.

The inner city is a chaotic place where rich and poor crowd together. These two courtyards lie side by side in the Talos Plaza District.
Image Image

Two views of a city palace. This manor belongs to the Vestarch, a powerful member of the Elder Council.
Image Image

The Great Pelagian Waterway runs underneath City Isle, allowing gondola access into the inner districts.

A minor gate of the Legion garrison on Bastion Isle.

The Emperor's Palace is one of the largest buildings on the continent. Each Emperor has built numerous additions around White-Gold Tower, and some of the deeper galleries are almost forgotten.
Image Image Image Image

Shrine to the Infante Empress in the Emperor's Palace. Empress Kintyra II, betrayed and murdered by her political opponents, is the patron saint of the dispossessed, the betrayed, and of miscarriages.

Religion is of the utmost importance in the social and political life of the capital. The city is dotted with various shrines and temples dedicated to the Divines, Alessia, Emperor Zero, Reman, and other gods and spirits.
Image Image

Entrance to the temple-lodge of the Society of Moths.

Two extravagant shrines to lesser saints.
Image Image

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

PART 3: THE NIBENAY

The Valus Mountains form the eastern fringe of Cyrodiil. These mountains suffer from the ashy pollution of Morrowind, lessening sunlight and infecting native lifeforms. This, combined with frequent forest fires, have pushed back the jungle and given rise to an atypical ecosystem.

East of the Heartlands lies the vast and untamed Serican Woods. Forests such as these are considered both sacred and abhorrent by the Nibenese, home to dangerous spirits. Entering the heart of the forest is forbidden by a multitude of religious laws.

Even more sacred than the forests is the great Niben River, considered the greatest and oldest of all rivers. Its banks are crowded with farms, fishing villages, fortresses and temples, forming the lifeblood of Imperial civilization.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The old, rotting city of Bravil is known for its shipwrights, soap cutteries and slums.
Image Image Image

The verdant Valley of Altars is, fittingly, home to a multitude of little shrines and monasteries - many of them destroyed in frequent temple-wars, small-scale altercations between the adherents of different sects.

Southern towns like Leyawiin and Contramantarci have their own, more colorful style.
Image Image Image Image

The Molaquin Ren, referred to as the 'Ren to common Imperials, is former Elsweyr territory recently annexed by Cyrodiil. Wealthy plantations and villas quickly give way to pseudo-desert as one travels northwest.
Image Image Image Image

Surrounding the city of Mir Corrup and the caustic waters of Lake Canulus lie the wastelands and dead forests of the Marshes of Mir. The region's toxic volcanic activity has undone the city's former greatness, swallowing up the villas and sacred baths that once surrounded it.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Blackwood is the oldest and most dangerous of the Nibenese jungles. Home to eastern horrors and violent tiger spirits, none dare enter the forest save Argonian tribals and the most dedicated of the Nibenese deepwood cults.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

Hello guys! Wanted to share some pictures on how I think Skingrad could look like. Since there is already a topic created by Infragris, I hope it's okay if I post it here :oops:
I just always felt that Skingrad had a Romanian vibe to it. Not only because of vampire count :roll:

These are only for inspiration and only if needed (not official by any means) That's only my personal feelings about Skingrad theme

Skingrad Castle

Rich Manor

Lower Class House

Town Overlook

Lower Class Inn

Order of Knights

Old Ruins

Small Church

Guard Barracks

"Daggerfall Style" Fighters Guild

Cathedral and Town Overlook

City Wall

Monastery

Watch Tower

I have also just added some descriptions to the pictures of how I see it, more or less. It's not an instruction by any means, just some ideas on how these can be used

P.S. Nice tragedian by the way! I am sure that project inspiration is in the right hands :)

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

That building in the bottom left looks suspiciously like the TES:IV chapel model... you might be onto something here :)

Nice images! Contribution is always welcome. Look around the rest of the site and pitch in!
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

These are very nice indeed, and would fit well with the Skingrad area concepts. Thanks!

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

Beautiful :) The thread bump reminded me, I've been saving quite a few pics and posting a lot to the Tumblr page, but I don't think I've posted them here. Zakopane, Poland is one of the biggest inspirations for my Chorrol concept:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

vrolok
PT Modder

Post by vrolok »

Thanks for feedback guys! Glad to join the discussions :) With such huge land masses, there needs to be a lot of inspiration for the projects, so I'll continue to provide some.

Wanted to post some pictures for the Imperial City

Arboretum - which in my opinion could include great many statues of divines and saints, each providing a small description

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Imperial Baths - hope to see some in game, just to add some refinement to the Imperial culture.
I think Imperial city needs a few bathhouses in different parts. As for other cities, it depends, but I can totally see some.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

P.S. I also have had a few ideas about Bruma. In TES IV Bruma houses were build into the ground "to preserve warmth".
Honestly, I have no idea why that would be the case. I might be wrong, but as far as I am concerned it would be extremely hard to warm up cold earth.
And as we all know cold air is heavier than warm air, so it goes down. It should be very cold in these houses unless there are hot springs nearby of which I am unaware.

I do however know that in real life the opposite is often used: houses are build taller to preserve warmth. In some cases first floors are uninhabited.
Such houses either have entrance outside which leads to the second floor or there are stairs on the first floor.
First floor is used as either a cellar or a barn during winter. It also makes sense, considering Bruma is located in the mountains, so it should be really hard to dig.

ImageImageImage

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

A couple of smaller things I came across:
Entrance to a Nibenese catacomb:

A cold morning in the Ruma Floodlands:

A red tree in the Imperial City (Heartlands vegetation takes its distinctly red hue due from the local Tinmi soil):
P.S. I also have had a few ideas about Bruma. In TES IV Bruma houses were build into the ground "to preserve warmth".
Honestly, I have no idea why that would be the case. I might be wrong, but as far as I am concerned it would be extremely hard to warm up cold earth.
And as we all know cold air is heavier than warm air, so it goes down. It should be very cold in these houses unless there are hot springs nearby of which I am unaware.
Only noticed this now, but I felt I had to set this straight: building into the ground to preserve warmth is factually and historically correct. The earth isolates the houses, keeping the warmth of the fire inside, whereas exposed houses are open on all sides to the wind, which leeches heat more quickly. This is how most ancient northern building techniques worked.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

I bet this picture was already posted before somewhere :D But:
Golden Coast, an ancient memorial to the soldiers who died during Bendu Olo's Thrassian Purge.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

A desolate scene in the foothills north of Kvatchi Pass:

Return to “P:C Concept Art”