Cruel Warlord

Quests & NPC'ing guidelines

Post by roerich »

reserved

[horizontalline][/horizontalline]
Quests:

[horizontalline][/horizontalline]
NPCing:
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Dialogue procedures:

- Add new dialogue immediately below the appropriate placeholder. If a placeholder doesn't exist, add the dialogue under the initial "BEGIN SHOTN ...." entry in the relevant Greeting or Topic. If that entry doesn't exist, then post a message in the claim thread or on Discord.
- Adding a new dialogue entry "dirties" those entries above and below the one you placed if they were not added by your ESP. Use TESAME to delete those dirty entries from your ESP by right clicking to mark them then pressing "delete". See this tutorial: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content ... e-tutorial
- Use the following tes3cmd commands to see if you've missed any dirty entries:
tes3cmd common "your claim.esp" "Morrowind.esm"
tes3cmd common "your claim.esp" "Tribunal.esm"
tes3cmd common "your claim.esp" "Bloodmoon.esm"
tes3cmd common "your claim.esp" "latest Sky_Main.esp"
tes3cmd common "your claim.esp" "latest section file.esp"
Dirty entries will appear with an "INFO" entry and a long string of numbers. Use the following command to delete the dirty entry:
tes3cmd delete --type INFO --exact-id "long string of numbers" "your claim.esp"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some naming conventions for consideration, based on existing IDs in Sky_Main.esp:

IMPORTANT:
- Copying dialogue and scripts from Microsoft Word can introduce invalid punctuation characters. I've noticed better results copying stuff over from Notepad and Notepad++. Manually replace all apostrophes if you create your entries in something other than the CS or Notepad!
- IDs are limited to a maximum of 32 characters, BUT anything that can either exist with more than 1 copy or be referenced by a script must have a max of 24 characters. 8 additional characters (24 + 8 = 32) are tacked on when copies exist. This (can) apply to containers, NPCs, objects, and activators. (Thanks Rot!)
- Global variables or "Globals" (Gameplay -> Globals in the Construction Set) are "free" in that they cause no impact, FPS drop, slowdown, etc. Consider using them when a journal entry check alone won't work for whatever you're trying to do.

Quest Assets:
Ex: Sky_qRe_KW01_Apple

Sky_ - All SHOTN ESP/ESM assets begin with Sky_
q - "quest"
Re - The region (The Reach in this case)
Kw - The city/location (Karthwasten)
01 - The claim number/identifier. If it's a faction quest chain, then one should add two letters before 01 such as TG01 for "Thieves Guild" or FG01 for "Fighters Guild"
Apple - The asset ID

Specific IDs:
Journal entries - Journal
Scripts - Name_sc

Example: Karthwasten Thieves Guild Quest 3
Sky_qRe_KW_TG03_Journal - The journal ID for the quest
Sky_qRe_KW_TG03_Dagger - The Cassius Family Dagger that Corelyn wants you to retrieve
Sky_qRe_KW_TG03_Dagger_sc - The script on the dagger

One thing to note: This naming convention doesn't include the name of the quest in the IDs, just the claim identifier.

Quests with Mutliple Objectives/Non-Linear Paths
New journal IDs that have the same quest name (index of 0 with "Quest Name" checked) as another quest can be used to track objectives. Completed entries under the new journal IDs will be added to the same quest in the journal. (Thanks again to Rot)

Just append a suffix to the journal ID format like so: Sky_qRe_KwTG01_Journal_Name

Example: Karthwasten Thieves Guild Quest 2
Sky_qRe_KWTG02_Journal - The journal ID for the quest (with "Doing a Cat's Job" as the "Quest Name" in index 0 entry)
Sky_qRe_KWTG02_Journal_Driz - Journal ID for Driziiri delivery (with "Doing a Cat's Job" as the "Quest Name" in index 0 entry and "I have delivered moon sugar to Driziiri." as one other entry with an index of 10)
Sky_qRe_KWTG02_Journal_Ties - Journal ID for Ties-The-Bark delivery (with "Doing a Cat's Job" as the "Quest Name" in index 0 entry and "I have delivered moon sugar to Ties-The-Bark." as one other entry with an index of 10)

When the player delivers moon sugar to either NPC, a journal entry will appear under "Doing a Cat's Job" in the Quests tab of the journal. The dialogue conditions for completing the quest require the player to be at the correct stage in the quests Sky_qRe_KWTG02_Journal, Sky_qRe_KWTG02_Journal_Driz, Sky_qRe_KWTG02_Journal_Ties, (and Sky_qRe_KWTG02_Journal_Geod).
Last edited by Rakanishu on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

As noted on Discord, using hyphens in ID's seems to be fine after all, the issue appears to be in some version of OpenCS or another program having difficulties compiling such scripts.

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Thanks, I edited my original post. Still, SHOTN seems to use underscores in the vast majority of cases and it could be useful to keep one style.

Return to “Unclaimed”