Dragonstar East Quest: Illness in the Alehouse [Tristior]

View and discuss completed claims
Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Dragonstar East Quest: Illness in the Alehouse [Tristior]

Post by Rakanishu »

Patrons of Ildgar's Alehouse in Dragonstar East have been falling ill for some unknown reason. Ildgar thinks it could be the work of Sogat agents trying to spread fear. The publican wants you to solve the mystery to save his/her business. The player can find a shovel in some rubble behind the alehouse, suggesting that the wrongdoer is tampering with the kegs in the alehouse cellar. Talking to people and searching for clues reveals evidence that could point towards either a Redguard gardener named Yael or the real antagonist, a traveling alchemist named [...] located at -922908 106774 4789 (NPC needs to be created and placed). The alchemist has been poisoning the drinks in the alehouse to sell his own potions/antidotes.

The player can accuse Kyra the gardener of poisoning the alehouse, allege that she's a Sogat agent, and point towards [plant] as evidence, which sends her off to the dungeons. The Alchemist would skip town the next day.

Alternatively, the player can accuse [alchemist] who will try to strike a deal. The player must accuse Kyra, accuse [alchemist], or strike a deal with [alchemist] in order to complete the quest with Ildgar.

Suggested reward(s): Ildgar gives the player some gold and one free local drink of their choosing every day. This could be accomplished by having the player click a dialogue topic and then present a list of local drinks.

Please use the ID prefix Sky_qRe_DSE03_

Location of new alchemist NPC (-922908 106774 4789):

Tristior
Project Administrator

Post by Tristior »

Claim!

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Granted!

Just a thought: It might make sense to use different journal IDs with the same name for state 0 since there are two paths the player can take. For example:
Sky_qRe_DSE03_JournalA
Sky_qRe_DSE03_JournalB

Tristior
Project Administrator

Post by Tristior »

Ready for review. The changes to Ildgar make him double-up, but I've asked roerich to remove him from the section file.
Attachments
Sky_qRe_DSE03.ESP
(51.05 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Excellent first attempt. I really liked the progression of the quest and the cellar interior.

Some things to fix:
- It's not immediately clear to the player that certain NPCs have new topics to discuss. Ildgar and others might need 2 or 3 new Greeting 5 entries filtered for specific journal states that hyperlink to the new topics. For example, "Hm? Someone's been digging in the yard"?
- Disable Kyra's bottle of weed-killer until the quest starts (can reuse the GetDisabled check block from other scripts) and allow its pickup after first journal entry
- Need to remove suggestions from journal entries like "I should..." or anything that sounds like the player character doing anything other than observing and recording
- Jail cell greetings should have brackets around them since they read like emotes
- Give Wayn's initial "accuse poisoner" entries a journal condition to prevent the player from figuring out the Wayn option too early. They shouldn't appear until after Kyra tells you about him
- topic: "no love for the Dur-Gada"
* travelling -> traveling (American English)
* "... I reported it to the guard" -> replace "guard" with "guards" or "City Guard"
- topic: "Wayn"
* "said I could trial it for free" -> "try" instead of "trial"
* "Please, try to find out what he wants... he hawks his potions" -> capitalize "He"
- Wayn has "Summon Bonewalker" spells
- Accusing Wayn of being the poisoner and then killing him in self-defense still gives the "This doesn't rule him out as the poisoner journal entry" which doesn't make sense since the player discovers he is, in fact, the poisoner. This can be fixed by adding another check to his OnDeath block
- Talking to Ildgar after killing Wayn in self-defense still gives the options to accuse Kyra and Wayn. Choosing the latter causes Wayn to appear in the dungeon. There should probably be another "accuse poisoner" that has a higher journal check which automatically tells Ildgar that Wayn did it

Tristior
Project Administrator

Post by Tristior »

Changes made:
- It's not immediately clear to the player that certain NPCs have new topics to discuss. Ildgar and others might need 2 or 3 new Greeting 5 entries filtered for specific journal states that hyperlink to the new topics. For example, "Hm? Someone's been digging in the yard"?
- Disable Kyra's bottle of weed-killer until the quest starts (can reuse the GetDisabled check block from other scripts) and allow its pickup after first journal entry
- Need to remove suggestions from journal entries like "I should..." or anything that sounds like the player character doing anything other than observing and recording
- Jail cell greetings should have brackets around them since they read like emotes
- Give Wayn's initial "accuse poisoner" entries a journal condition to prevent the player from figuring out the Wayn option too early. They shouldn't appear until after Kyra tells you about him
- topic: "no love for the Dur-Gada"
* travelling -> traveling (American English)
* "... I reported it to the guard" -> replace "guard" with "guards" or "City Guard"
- topic: "Wayn"
* "said I could trial it for free" -> "try" instead of "trial"
* "Please, try to find out what he wants... he hawks his potions" -> capitalize "He"
- Wayn has "Summon Bonewalker" spells
- Accusing Wayn of being the poisoner and then killing him in self-defense still gives the "This doesn't rule him out as the poisoner journal entry" which doesn't make sense since the player discovers he is, in fact, the poisoner. This can be fixed by adding another check to his OnDeath block

- Talking to Ildgar after killing Wayn in self-defense still gives the options to accuse Kyra and Wayn. Choosing the latter causes Wayn to appear in the dungeon. There should probably be another "accuse poisoner" that has a higher journal check which automatically tells Ildgar that Wayn did it
Attachments
Sky_qRe_DSE03.ESP
(52.79 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

Tristior
Project Administrator

Post by Tristior »

Made misc fixes.
Attachments
Sky_qRe_DSE03.ESP
(52.84 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Great work, you have my recommendation for promotion!

I noticed a few more minor things which I've already edited in preparation for merging (waiting until section file drops):

- Ildgar didn't have any of the required SHOTN local variables in his script
- Put a journal requirement on Wayn's dialogue
- Sky_qRe_DSE03_Bricks_sc "labelled" -> "labeled"
- Journal: "travelling" merchant -> "traveling"
- Wayn G5: "Hello fellow traveller" -> "traveler"
- Renamed KyraJail ID from Sky_xRe_DSE_KyraJail to Sky_qRe_DSE03_KyraJail
- KyraJail G5: [She stares at you through eyes red from crying.] -> needs to go into G1 in case player is diseased
- WaynJail G5: "You filthy scum! The Dur-Gada will avenge me, %PCRace." -> needs to go into G1 in case player is diseased
- Journal: "he's offering a good deal of money" -> "he gave"
- sky_qre_dse03_orders -> disable if Kyra arrested
- Wayn attacks player: Ildgar doesn't give reward

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Merged into DS section file

Return to “Completed”