[Book] The Dangers of Reach-Magicks [Merged]

Violet
Lead Dev

[Book] The Dangers of Reach-Magicks [Merged]

Post by Violet »

The Dangers of Reach-Magicks

by Edwistair Admand

Reach-Magic is one of an ever growing list of magicks that falls under the umbrella of hedge-wizardry. While there are many variants of shamanistic magicks throughout the Empire (to speak nothing of the potential magicks that lie beyond Tamriel's shores), the one that we will be focusing on today is the magicks of the Reachmen. Likewise, for both my and my readers' sanity, I will be disregarding the unique complexities of the magicks used by various specific tribes and instead speak of the general similarities of such magicks. From my extensive research I have safely concluded that they are not at all distinct enough for special mention, despite some of my more insistent colleagues would have me believe on the matter.

Reach-Magic leans towards the shamanistic side of magick, it is primarily ritualistic in nature. From my research many reachmen do not always cast spells within the moment of ritual, but instead use a minor ritual (often sacrificial and self-destructive if the rumors are to be believed) to ready a spell mid-cast. Upon need of such spell they simply must loosen the magickal seal to unleash the casted spell. This, like all things in hedge-wizardry, can be incredibly damaging to the spell host, as many spell types are not designed for internal use -- let alone being internally withheld for days, months, or even years.

A reachmen's ritual is not always cast before release, however. It seems another form of Reach-Magic can be observed through the affects it has on the surrounding areas. There have been numerous reports of droughts, famine, and various curses befall the land around active ritual spots. Unlike the scholars of the officially recognized schools of magic practiced by the esteemed guild of mages, which aims to control the forces of which we command through spell, these magicks instead seek to take hold of said forces and manipulate through unknown means without proper protection. As if the damaging effects of such reckless behavior could in any way out-weigh the caster's own soul and body.

Some less familiar scholars liken reach-magic to some form of Mysticism, as both practices tend to revolve around the unseen nature of Mundus, as well as often invoking magicks unknown, replicating the unprecedented effects of wild innovation. However, these academics seem to misinterpret the intentions of such schools of thought. My understanding of differences between both of these wide fields of study can be best described as such; While Mysticism is understanding and replicating the results of magicks gone sometimes horribly wrong, hedge-wizardy - in many of its various forms - relies on magicks that have gone horribly right.

As if there is need of any more reason to avoid these failed, shamanistic means of magick, there are even rumors of vile creatures spawning from such horrific displays of untamed magicks. I would storm the nearest tribe and convince them to realize the folly of their efforts, but the mind often can become just as deformed as the body with repeated use of hedge-wizardry.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Excellent! This is really good. Here's my notes and thoughts:
Reach-Magic is one of an ever growing list of magicks that falls under the umbrella of hedge-wizardry. While there are many variants of shamanistic magicks throughout the Empire (to speak nothing of the potential magicks that lie beyond Tamriel's shores), the one that we will be focusing on today is the magicks of the Reachmen.
I think hedge-wizardry is used wrongly here. Hedge-wizards aren't mages focused on a particular type of magic, it's just a derogatory catchall term for unrecognized mages, hacks, and lowskilled primitive magicians. Similar to hedge knights: https://www.quora.com/Were-hedge-knight ... ke-them-up So it's not per se correct to classify reach-magic as being under the umbrella of hedge-magic, like it was a separate school. There's hedge-wizards using traditional destruction and alteration too. I'm also a bit wary of using shamanistic magicks like this. I'm not sure reach-magic in itself is shamanistic (which I would classify as animalistic, spirit-oriented. spirit-communing etc.), but it's influenced by the Orcs which are shamanistic. We'll have to figure this out some more. The Bjoulsae are very shamanistic (The Mirror).
Likewise, for both my and my readers' sanity, I will be disregarding the unique complexities of the magicks used by various specific tribes and instead speak of the general similarities of such magicks. From my extensive research I have safely concluded that they are not at all distinct enough for special mention, despite some of my more insistent colleagues would have me believe on the matter.
I'm not sure a MG scholar would differentiate between Reach tribes and subcultures. From an outside perspective they are all just Reachmen.
Reach-Magic leans towards the shamanistic side of magick, it is primarily ritualistic in nature.
Same as above.
From my research many reachmen do not always cast spells within the moment of ritual, but instead use a minor ritual (often sacrificial and self-destructive if the rumors are to be believed) to ready a spell mid-cast. Upon need of such spell they simply must loosen the magickal seal to unleash the casted spell. This, like all things in hedge-wizardry, can be incredibly damaging to the spell host, as many spell types are not designed for internal use -- let alone being internally withheld for days, months, or even years.
I like this a lot.
A reachmen's ritual is not always cast before release, however. It seems another form of Reach-Magic can be observed through the affects it has on the surrounding areas. There have been numerous reports of droughts, famine, and various curses befall the land around active ritual spots.
Famine seems more like a consequence of natural disaster. Perhaps change it to earthquakes. "active ritual spots" also sounds a bit too academic imo. How about "There have been numerous reports of droughts, earthquakes, and various curses befall the land where foul witchmen have practised their magic." or something to that effect.
Unlike the scholars of the officially recognized schools of magic practiced by the esteemed guild of mages, which aims to control the forces of which we command through spell, these magicks instead seek to take hold of said forces and manipulate through unknown means without proper protection. As if the damaging effects of such reckless behavior could in any way out-weigh the caster's own soul and body.
Capitalize Guild of Mages.
Some less familiar scholars liken reach-magic to some form of Mysticism, as both practices tend to revolve around the unseen nature of Mundus, as well as often invoking magicks unknown, replicating the unprecedented effects of wild innovation. However, these academics seem to misinterpret the intentions of such schools of thought. My understanding of differences between both of these wide fields of study can be best described as such; While Mysticism is understanding and replicating the results of magicks gone sometimes horribly wrong, hedge-wizardy - in many of its various forms - relies on magicks that have gone horribly right.
Same point about hedge-wizardry. Perhaps Reach-Magic should be capitalized. Reach should, at least.
As if there is need of any more reason to avoid these failed, shamanistic means of magick, there are even rumors of vile creatures spawning from such horrific displays of untamed magicks. I would storm the nearest tribe and convince them to realize the folly of their efforts, but the mind often can become just as deformed as the body with repeated use of hedge-wizardry.
I would scrap this paragraph and replace it with a conclusion of why Reach-Magic in its nature is dangerous, unreliable and more often than not will result in the unfortune of the practioner or his surroundings. And that all students of magick should stay away from it, and there's a reason it was made illegal (perhaps figure out when it was made so). Doesn't need any references to hagravens imo.

So these are the things I would change, but overall this is great and very creative.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

New version up. All of the suggested changes have been made.
Spoiler
The Dangers of Reach-Magicks

by Edwistair Admand

While there are many variants of magick throughout the Empire (to speak nothing of the potential magicks that lie beyond Tamriel's shores), the focus of this text will be on the magicks of the Reachmen.

Reach-Magic is primarily ritualistic in nature, though it has been speculated to incorporate Orcish shamanism, Direnni spellcraft, and rudimentary forms of the circinate spells of the Mages Guild -- the former two being much more important than the latter. From my research many Reachmen do not always cast spells within the moment of ritual, but instead use a minor ritual (often sacrificial and self-destructive, as is the case of all wild and untamed magicks not sanctioned by the guild) to ready a spell mid-cast. Upon need of such spell they simply must loosen the magickal seal to unleash the casted spell. This, like all things in Reach-Magic, can be incredibly damaging to the spell host, as many spell types are not designed for internal use -- let alone being internally withheld for days, months, or even years.

A Reachmen's ritual is not always cast before release, however. Another form of Reach-Magic can be observed through the effects it has on the surrounding areas. There have been numerous reports of droughts, earthquakes, and various curses happening in the lands where witchmen have practiced their magicks, as if the ground itself was seeped in a magickal muck of curses. Unlike the scholars of the officially recognized schools of magic practiced by the esteemed Guild of Mages, which aims to control the forces of which we command through spell, these magicks instead seek to take hold of said forces and manipulate through unknown means without proper protection. As if the damaging effects of such reckless behavior could in any way outweigh the caster's own soul and body.

Some less familiar scholars liken Reach-Magic to some form of Mysticism, as both practices tend to revolve around the unseen nature of Mundus, as well as often invoking magicks unknown, replicating the unprecedented effects of wild innovation. However, these academics seem to misinterpret the intentions of such schools of thought. My understanding of differences between both of these wide fields of study can be best described as such; While Mysticism is understanding and replicating the results of magicks gone sometimes horribly wrong, Reach-Magic, in many of its various forms, relies on magicks that have gone horribly right.

With all of this in mind, it's no wonder why the late Empress Morihatha Septim had deemed this vile form of spellcraft illegal. Reach-Magic is as dangerous as they come, to both the caster and their surroundings. Even were one to call upon such rituals without negative consequences, there can be no guarantee of how, why, or if it will work. If you wish to learn the inner workings of magick, then I would suggest joining your nearest Mages Guild where you can practice proper magical theory and execution, rather than learning from some common Reachmen in the forest.
Last edited by Violet on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

See previous comment for the latest fixes^

Return to “SHotN Literature”