Ignatious' Showcase

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here
Ignatious
Forumite

Ignatious' Showcase

Post by Ignatious »

Howdy folks, this is my showcase to apply to the Project Tamriel modding team.

I've provided a cabinet that was requested by your team here on the forums, I am applying as both an asset creator and quest maker. I can do pretty much whatever you need though in the CS. I created most of Starwind myself over the last 5+ years, scripting, gameplay changes, races, over 500 original .nifs made by myself, over 90 quests made by myself, cantina minigames and swoop racing, and much more. I am very well versed with the CS and have been modding Morrowind for many years.

Attachments
CabinetPT.nif
The cabinet mesh
(100.56 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Your mod looks like fun and interesting way of working around doing textures yourself. Actually it seems quite crazy, too.

Since you made your model in haste, there are two obvious issues at first:
1. The texture path does include a weird subfolder (iggypt). Fix it up.
2. There is no dedicated collision mesh on your model. Add one.

Your model has an irregular UV-scale. Some areas are tiled rather heavily, others are very blurry. One way to fix it up, is to use the "Average Island Scale" - Option in the UV - Window as seen in the example below:

The UV-alignment of the texture looks a bit strange at the horizontal struts at the bottom. I would rotate it by 90°.

Other than that it would be nice to have even more visual continuity with other middle class com furniture. I imported the closet here for a direct comparison. Making the UV tile a little less much and adding some vertex color might do the trick already. The cabinet should be slightly bigger aswell.

I think that you have the basic skill already. The model in and on itself is good as it is. It just needs some tweaking.

By the way: To be promoted for Questing, you need to post a dedicated quest showcase separate from this modelling one.

Ignatious
Forumite

Post by Ignatious »

Added a Collision node.
Played with the textures a bit more.
Added vertex coloring.
Made it larger by 1.2 x scale

I don't have that option you do under the UV tab though.
Attachments
CabinetPT.nif
(129.47 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

It looks a lot better already.

Your texture path does still include that weird subfolder. Is that an export setting of yours? You could fix it in nifskope, at least.

Other than that, it would still be good if you could make the vertex color more greenish and more differentiated in strength between different parts of the model (darker below the topside etc) so it fits more seamlessly with the vanilla assets we're using.

Finally could you also create a folder system and an esp for your asset, so it would be ready for inclusion in our data files?

It should look roughly like this:
Data Files/Meshes/pc/o/pc_furn_com_cabinet.nif

The Esp should be dependant on Tamriel_Data.esm (downloadable on nexusmods.com) and have container entries for your cabinet with reasonable stats and content.

The ids should go something like:
T_CyrImp_FurnM_Cb1....

Look at neighbouring container entries in the list for reference.

Return to “Modder Showcase”