Outreach: Organization and Planning for the Future

Discuss news and announcements here
pROvAK
PT Modder

Outreach: Organization and Planning for the Future

Post by pROvAK »

Well, here we are once again. This will be our fourth forum change, and with that comes another load of work and re-organization. With the amount of work we have done thus far, this won't be too extensive a task, and bringing over vital info from our previous forums shouldn't be too difficult. Concept art/pictures, lore/books, files (obviously) and our biggest ideas should come first. the rest is second tier priority.

When I started this mod back in 2011 with Ryu, I wasn't expecting to get even a foot off the ground with this. Yet, even with the bit we have done now I've always been blown away by what we've accomplished. Our facebook page gets more likes every day, and more people are becoming interested in this, thus the reason for my return to the modding scene. Nevertheless, with this comes a good deal of responsibility, one I may have shirked in the past, for which I apologize. But with so much behind us and so much ahead, I'm forced to look forward to the future of this mod, both for myself, and the others who've invested so much time into this.

Le Grimacier has been a HUGE part of this mod, providing models, textures, renders, concepts, and many other valuable assets. To that, he has my thanks, as the most active of us here. Ratfink333 has also been a fairly large contributor to the project, providing much as Grim has, on Senchal and just helping keep the project active. Way to go Ratfink. Along with Ryu, who heavily assisted me, if not lead the project (You rock, dude), there are many others who have helped along the way, and for that, you have my gratitude. We come to another matter now, the future of this mod, and what it's fate shall be.

To be blunt, we can't stop working on it. We've all invested too much time in this, we can't back out now. I've been AWOL from the modding scene for a little over a year, doing Oblivion mods on/off in my spare time. This was always on my backburner, but it slowed to the point where I thought it was a lost cause for a long time. But now, as Project Tamriel is giving us a chance at rebirth, we can continue on, if we are all willing. I'd spent a little over 400 hours planning and organizing things with this mod, whether it be writing, planning, talking with Ryu or debating locations on the forums. And I'd hate to see that go to waste. I'm sure the other members of the forum would agree, our vision of Elsweyr is a grand one, and we've already got 'two feet in the footholds' as it were.

So What say we all get back in, and give this another go at full force? Who's with me?

Rattfink333
PT Modder

Post by Rattfink333 »

Hi. Been playing MWO for a good long time. But am burned out on it (actually PO'd ragequit borderline gotta stop) And am getting back into morrowind again. Actually doing a playthrough of the game right now. And have noticed I have too many mods installed. But once I get a playthrough done I am going to get back into modding again. So you will see me around.

Also, gonna blow out my install on my other PC. And then put in a basic install so I can mod without troubles on that one.

pROvAK
PT Modder

Post by pROvAK »

Good to hear from you again, I also got a new PC, rigged out with MWO. I'm all set for modding again. Hopefully Grim shows up soon.

Rattfink333
PT Modder

Post by Rattfink333 »

you will need to fix it so my post will show up..

Le Grimacier
PT Modder

Post by Le Grimacier »

Sorry for not been active recently but I was ill. Now, back to work!
I see others teams are very well organized and we should follow their example. I will take a look at what they did and try to adapt it to our project.

pROvAK
PT Modder

Post by pROvAK »

Awesome. I'm still tied back quite a bit by college atm, but I'm doing my best to reorganizing everything and collect everything we have so far.

Tes96
PT Modder

Post by Tes96 »

Hello guys, I'm a stranger to this beautiful sub-tropical province. I saw the old forum years ago and didn't think it would take off. Then, 10 minutes ago, I saw the old pictures posted on the main portal page and was very impressed! You've done an amazing job from what I've seen so far. I especially love this temple. It reminds me of the architectural style in India, like this and this. I could see Khajiit deities sculpted in bas-relief style.

Any ways, I'm an interior builder and reviewer for the other three projects (TR, SHotN & P:C) and am very excited about this project. I see there is nothing available to work on as far as interior design at the moment. I do plan to get into modelling and texturing in the years to come, since those are the biggest elements for world building. I'm mainly just introducing myself here and seeing what you guys are up to. How big is your team?

I'm not well educated in Khajiit culture and lore so that is one thing I will need to develop over time. A couple months ago I was talking with one of the leads at Tamriel-Rebuilt and he was saying that even over there they need people with ideas who can come up with new lore to branch off of the already-existing lore. An example was the hamlet I was working on in the snowy northwestern mountains of Uld-Vraech. I had so many questions about the people in that region and what flora and fauna were there, and the responses were that it hasn't been fully determined yet.
As we all know, bringing a world to life takes a lot of work outside the construction set. I considered myself fairly decent at creating believable characters and stories, so I'm hoping to contribute some of that here.

Is this landmass already developed? Not in the sense of it having models but is the land elevated above sea level in the shape of the province? I know P:C has their entire landmass shaped already but SHOTN only has the Reach landmass elevated above water level.

One other question, are you guys using any inspiration from ESO? (EDIT: Yes, I'd say so)

Are you starting with Senchal or with Khenarthi's Roost? I don't know what all you guys have done (whether you've already started on Senchal or not) but Khenarthi's Roost would be a great place to start because it's a small island and it can give the public a taste of what will be to come on the mainland of Elsewyr. It would be very similar to how Province:Cyrodiil started with Stirk.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Biboran
Forumite

Post by Biboran »

Wow, you already have a map! I somehow missed it. :D
I think it would be much more convenient to combine it with P:C map. Or do it in a similar style. This will be useful when it comes to the border.
Something like that:
Spoiler

SGMonkey
Site Admin

Post by SGMonkey »

Tes96 wrote:*SNIP*
Is this landmass already developed? Not in the sense of it having models but is the land elevated above sea level in the shape of the province? I know P:C has their entire landmass shaped already but SHOTN only has the Reach landmass elevated above water level.

One other question, are you guys using any inspiration from ESO? (EDIT: Yes, I'd say so)

Are you starting with Senchal or with Khenarthi's Roost? I don't know what all you guys have done (whether you've already started on Senchal or not) but Khenarthi's Roost would be a great place to start because it's a small island and it can give the public a taste of what will be to come on the mainland of Elsewyr. It would be very similar to how Province:Cyrodiil started with Stirk.
The land for that part does exist yes. It's part of the height maps I made years ago.

From what I know, the guys are starting with Senchal. I doubt (hope) Khenarthi's Roost will make an appearance as it was just fabricated for TESOblargh.

Tes96
PT Modder

Post by Tes96 »

Admin wrote:
Tes96 wrote:*SNIP*

The land for that part does exist yes. It's part of the height maps I made years ago.

From what I know, the guys are starting with Senchal. I doubt (hope) Khenarthi's Roost will make an appearance as it was just fabricated for TESOblargh.
Gotcha.
Why is this project called "Outreach"?
I take it the things most needed right now are models, lore and deeper discussions about what will be done in which cities and how they will be represented?
I really like P:C's format where they have a section for each county for discussion and planning. I see you've already started doing something similar.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Le Grimacier
PT Modder

Post by Le Grimacier »

Before I joined, the mod's goal was to create Atmora, the frozen continent of the far North, hence the name. Because of the lack of lore, they decided to switch to Elsweyr and benefit from the assistance and knowledge of other province modders.
The name was meant to be a temporary one and that's why it's called Project Outreach. Someone proposed about changing it but it was just before a change of forum and, as we are not very active, the topic was not resumed. I don't remember who made the logo but I like it and, if we change the name, I hope he can do the same with the new name.

Senchal is still planned as our starting point. But it won't be an easy one as it is one of the biggest city of Tamriel, and we are not experienced modders.

We have to thank SGMonkey for the original layout of the forum. It was a good thing to unify the different province mods so we can follow their example. In my case, I wouldn't be able to manage a province mod without looking for what other did.

Tes96
PT Modder

Post by Tes96 »

Province:Elsweyr sounds good. It's simple and to-the-point and won't confuse people which landmass we're doing. I'm fairly skilled at Adobe Photoshop and can create some drafts for you to look at if you're cool with it. I personally think "Skyrim:Home of the Nords" is too long for a project name. "Province:Cyrodiil" is a great example of a short and effective name, if you ask me.

What's great for these projects is advertising what we're doing on the bethsoft forums. I haven't read all of the threads from the old site but it would be great to get all the old discussions merged over here. Is there enough lore out there to design this province efficiently and to design all the models (granted we have talented enough modders)?

Do we know what types of flora are in each of the regions and what creatures dwell there and what the attitudes and cultures are from each of the cities, or how their government functions, the holidays and ceremonies that are celebrated, their views on the Empire and other provinces, the types of stories they write, hygiene, taxes, mating, farming, views on slavery and other forms of trafficking, etc...? (Azura's telling me I should go research these things myself if I want to be a part of this team) :)
Last edited by Admin on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: For the love of all things... don't quote the entire previous post.

Return to “News”