Druadach Highlands: Hunting With Larrik [Violet]

View and discuss completed claims
Violet
Lead Dev

Druadach Highlands: Hunting With Larrik [Violet]

Post by Violet »

A quest that is used to test the mechanics of the script-based Fire-Hand clan faction (also included in the file). As it is more so a mechanics testing/showcase quest instead of a more narrative-rich quest, it's somewhat barebones. Walkthrough:

There is a Nordic hunter and Fire-Hand Clan member by the name of Larrik Ember-Eye on a hill overlooking a part of the road to Dragonstar East, not too far down the road from Dragonstar East [cell: -111, 14]. Upon speaking to him, he asks you to help him track down and kill a wild boar by the name of Betten the Horrible. The Boar is located a bit to the side of some bandits that had just robbed a cart (NOTE: it's close enough to where the bandits might try to attack you, so I might end up moving Betten a bit further into the wilderness to avoid this quest from overlapping with them).

Once you arrive to your location [cell: -111, 13], you'll find Betten dead. Inspect the corpse and a "Violent Spriggan Nymph" will spawn (I'll likely change the Spriggan's name to something more unique, consider it a placeholder for now). Upon killing the Spriggan, a journal entry will pop up and Larrik will stop following you. Speak to Larrik and claim your 100 gold.

Current bugs:

-The Spriggan's script doesn't update the journal on death like it's supposed to. Until it is fixed console Journal "Sky_qRe_DH04_Journal" 30 to update it manually for playtesting.
-Larrik's travel together topic doesn't appear like it's meant to, so until it's fixed he'll follow you until you inspect the corpse regardless of your feelings on the subject.
Attachments
Fire-Hand faction + Hunting with Larrik.ESP
(17.23 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Oh yeah, placeholders used for this quest are "DH04".

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

Uploading some minor progress, things that still need done:

-Addtopic "travel together" in Larrik's choice greeting.
-Remember where I place Betten The Horrible.
-Fix the Violent Spriggan Nymph's script (it now appears during journal stage 10, after you accepted the quest but before you examine Betten's corpse, whereas the intended behavior is the Spriggan popping up immediately when you examine said corpse).
-Give the Violent Spriggan Nymph a unique name.
Attachments
Fire-Hand & Hunting with Larrik V2.ESP
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Try this v3 ESP. I fixed some script errors, renamed scripts and creatures to follow conventions, and added a missing global variable. It hasn't actually been tested ingame yet.
Attachments
Fire-Hand & Hunting with Larrik V3.ESP
(17.7 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Violet
Lead Dev

Post by Violet »

New file is up, THIS SHOULD BE READY FOR REVIEW.

-Larrik should no longer stop following the player upon finding Betten's corpse, he should, however, stop following the player when the journal hits Index 40.
-Betten was moved to a little rock hill so that it's easier to find + so that it doesn't run into that one bug where an item or NPC falls into grass and the engine won't let you select them because the grass mesh is above them.
-The "Violent Spriggan Nymph" has been given a new name, the ID remains the same.
-Larrik no longer tells you he's Jarla Jona when asking about his Background, Jona should now have the Background line like she's supposed to.

Merge notes: I've changed all of the Fire Hand clan members so that they all have the pseudo-faction script that I know of, if there are any others I've missed please give them those scripts as well.
Attachments
Fire-Hand&Hunting with Larrik V4.ESP
(18.15 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Moved to reviewing

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Merged into DS section file

General:
- Cleaned dirty entries

Journal:
- Changed journal state 0 from "Finished" to "Quest Name".
- Added new journal state 5 which adds a "Finished" entry to the journal (but doesn't create a quest) when Larrik asks the player to go on the hunt. Helpful if the player says "No" and leaves.
- Changed journal state 10 to be "Restart", in line with other SHOTN quests.
- Journal state 30: "The Spriggans are dead." -> "The Spriggan is dead."

Creatures:
- Removed extra "t" from Beten the Horrible's creature name
- Moved the Spriggan from on top of the rock to the just beyond the tree near Beten's corpse to increase the element of surprise

Scripting/Dialogue Results:
- Incorporated Sky_Rep_FireHand_sc variables and block into appropriate scripts (Sky_qRe_DH04_Larrik_sc, Sky_qRe_DSE_JarlaJona_sc, and Sky_qRe_DSE01_FireHandAlms_sc)
- Added missing "set FireHand to ( FireHand + 1 )" result
- Added "ModDisposition 15" for Larrik; player won't get double-credited because of the existing "set FireHand to ( FireHand + 1 )" line
- Moved the "if Journal State 40 then AIWander" line in Larrik's script to his Greeting 1 to reduce the number of lines in Larrik's script.
- Moved the StartCombat line from Larrik's script to Beten's script to reduce the number of lines in Larrik's script.
- "travel together" entry's "Wait here" choice needed a period.

Dialogue:
- Moved the "Beten the Horrible" entry that finishes the quest to Greeting 1
- Greeting 5: "Would I interest you" -> "Could I interest you"
- "but, unfortunately for her --" -> "but, unfortunately for her..."
- "Jarl Jona" -> "Jarla Jona"
- Split Larrik's "Yes" G5 response into two entries connected with a "Continue".
- Moved Greeting 5 entries from "DH04" placeholders to "Druadach Highlands" placeholders.

Return to “Completed”