Spammer's Quest Showcase

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here
Spammer
PT Modder

Spammer's Quest Showcase

Post by Spammer »

Hey guys.

I'm Ohayo from Discord. Dennis told me that I should also upload this here, so that everyone can take a proper look at it, so here you go....

This little mod adds a building just outside of Caldera, named "Archery range". No interior for now, just one NPC outside (named "Hobin Rood") who will challenge you to a marksman showdown. Less of a quest than a mini-game, but there's everything a quest would need - Dialogues, scripting, NPCs, Journal entries... So it should be good?

Have fun!
Attachments
Marksman Challenge.7z
(99.32 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

It was a fun challenge. I recommend adding/fixing the following things:

- Add more dialogue, maybe an additional flavor topic?

- Add more journal entries to structure it more like (just an example):
* 0: Hobin Rood's Challenge
* 10: I met a Wood Elf named Hobin Rood who was interested in offering me a challenge.
* 20: Hobin Rood wants to compete against me in a marksmanship challenge. Whoever hits the target the most wins the bet.
* 30: I agreed to Hobin Rood's challenge.
* 40: I won Hobin Rood's challenge.
* 50: I lost Hobin Rood's challenge.
* 60: Hobin Rood is dead.

Note: Some journal stages above might not make sense if the quest is repeatable so it's up to your discretion.

- There need to be "Item Gold_001" filters on the "challenge" topic Choice entries with extra Choices added for the cases where the player doesn't have enough gold. Probably best to just remove the gold immediately from the player's inventory in Choice entries rather than later in the challenge.

- There's a dirty activator (active_sign_c_guildf_01) and dirty dialogue in "background" (1905968842607317408, 787419786402628286) which need to be cleaned.

- If the player wins and talks to Hobin, he doesn't have a unique Greeting. The player also has to click "Challenge" twice to get a choice to play again.

- There's a fair amount of extra spaces and missing punctuation.

Spammer
PT Modder

Post by Spammer »

Thanks for the review. Here is the second version!
Attachments
Maksman Challenge 1.1.7z
(176.86 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Good changes, this showcase is almost there.

- Greeting 1 entry "20481194642735427051" is dirty.

- The Greeting 1 entry filtered for journal state 100 sets the state to 110 which is nonexistent.

- Hobin should have extra Greeting 1 entries for the states 5, 10, and 20. For example, if the player tries to bet 100 gold, fails for not having that amount, and then talks to Hobin again, then the default vanilla Caldera greetings will fire. Basically, main NPCs should have dialogue coverage for all states during the quest. This can sometimes be accomplished with a single entry filtered for a range of journal states if the quest permits.

- Journal state 105 needs the "Finished" box checked.

- PT prefers keeping the amount of first-person recommendations in the journal to a minimum, essentially limited to stuff like "I should return to [questgiver]." The goal is to prevent any disparity between what a player thinks and what they read.

- Some choice prompts are missing punctuation.

- There was a leftover "empty" topic which usually happens when creating or deleting a topic and not saving + reloading + saving.

Spammer
PT Modder

Post by Spammer »

And here is the third version!
Attachments
Marksman Challenge.7z
(183.53 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Rakanishu
Lead Dev

Post by Rakanishu »

Looks good, I'm promoting you to Quest Developer. Congratulations!

Spammer
PT Modder

Post by Spammer »

Return to “Modder Showcase”