Is the Cougal related to the Coutal?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

No idea. What's a Coutal?

Sssk
Forumite

Post by Sssk »

"The Kothringi encampments are tents made from Coutal hides, the same camel-­like animals the nomads use for transportation, milk, and meat."
- The Confession of Boma Kuro, 143

I'm unfamiliar with the Cougal.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Right, sorry. It's a spelling mistake, they're the same thing.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Do you guys still plan to use the minotaur model from this thread? I saw some criticism on it and tried to fix what I can, for practice:
LINK

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I personally like what you did there. But I'm not one of those that ever had issues with Dirnaes Minotaur in the first place.

At the moment the usage of the old minotaur probably depends on whether Ald Ma' Cyrod will complete his/her alternate version or not.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Great to see you here, R-Zero, I'm a huge fan of your work. I like your take on the minotaur way more, myself.

So there are no plans to include savage minotaurs in PC, similar to the ones in SHotN? I like how PC's lore follows MK's concepts here and I like Ald Ma's take on those civil taurens too, but Dirnaes' minotaurs are cool too.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

I see. Well, it's fun working on this thing anyway, so I guess I'll just finish it and upload it here, and then it's up to you guys whether to use the model or not. I like the savage minotaurs more myself, them being living relics from the Alessian Age.
Here's the comparison image, listing all the changes I made so far.
I tested it in game and there wasn't any seam glitches Saint_Jiub (and Dirnae him/herself) reported previously.
Great to see you here, R-Zero, I'm a huge fan of your work.
Whoa, didn't realize I have fans :D Cool. I'll probably be hanging out here occasionally, I like this project, always wanted to actually visit the apocryphal Cyrod.

Ah, one more question - do you have the sounds for minotaurs already?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I think we can include some savage minotaurs, especially in the deep forests, away from civilization.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote:I think we can include some savage minotaurs, especially in the deep forests, away from civilization.
I'm interested, what's your current consensus on Men o'Tor anyway? Locations, culture, stats?

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

R-Zero wrote:I see. Well, it's fun working on this thing anyway, so I guess I'll just finish it and upload it here, and then it's up to you guys whether to use the model or not. I like the savage minotaurs more myself, them being living relics from the Alessian Age.
Here's the comparison image, listing all the changes I made so far.
I tested it in game and there wasn't any seam glitches Saint_Jiub (and Dirnae him/herself) reported previously.
Great to see you here, R-Zero, I'm a huge fan of your work.
Whoa, didn't realize I have fans :D Cool. I'll probably be hanging out here occasionally, I like this project, always wanted to actually visit the apocryphal Cyrod.

Ah, one more question - do you have the sounds for minotaurs already?
Love, love, love what you've done with it! I really need to retouch those textures though... :?

Were you testing it in the Gold Coast/Stirk area, or just in Vvardenfell? The glitches start occurring the further you get from the center of the map.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

R-Zero wrote:
Infragris wrote:I think we can include some savage minotaurs, especially in the deep forests, away from civilization.
I'm interested, what's your current consensus on Men o'Tor anyway? Locations, culture, stats?
The legend of Ami-El sort of touches on them. In general, they should be rarities: the occasional merchant or prophet in the Nibenese cities, and small camps/villages in the deep eastern jungle, away from humans. Imperials and Minotaurs do meet for trade and ceremonies, but they are uneasy in each other's presence, culturally and physically divided. Perhaps we could have a quest about this, having the player set up a gift exchange/trade transaction between an Imperial firm and a Minotaur tribe: negotiating neutral grounds, interpreting demands and customs, etc.

Minotaurs capable of even rudimentary speech should be oddities - I think it would be fun to play with dialogue here, have most Minotaurs communicate in gestures and grunts that the player has to interpret (with an emphasis on speechcraft). Those that do speak should be cryptic and inhuman - i have plans for a kind of Minotaur prophet in one of the bull-cults. Culture-wise, I think they should align with old Nedic/Nibenese styles, as if they never developed beyond the early days of the Empire. A model variation or two with gaudy jewelry or a robe of some kind might be nice.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Saint_Jiub wrote: Love, love, love what you've done with it! I really need to retouch those textures though... :?
Thanks!
The textures are fine in my book, but I understand they are refitted textures for the common bull? Not sure it's a wise choice if so, as minotaurs aren't simply bulls spliced with men, but a degenerate demigod race with bovine appearance. They should look different, imho.
Were you testing it in the Gold Coast/Stirk area, or just in Vvardenfell? The glitches start occurring the further you get from the center of the map.
Near Caldera :D Sorry, I don't have Stirk alpha in my installation yet.
Infragris wrote:
Great text! Reads very much like an actual legend, very believable.

I see, so you won't make them generic spawning monsters like in Oblivion, that's good. It's sad there's not much on them in the official lore, too.

Anyway, here's the current model. I'm yet to edit the shadow mesh so it will look a little weird for now. Maybe I'll make a Minotaur Lord variation too.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

Post by SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR »

Perhaps there could be prehistoric earthly creatures in Cyrodiil. Many Permian amphibians and mammal like reptiles look very bizarre such as Diplocaulus or Dimetradon.
Those who fear death will never truly enjoy life.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

These could be of some inspiration for river dragons later.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

If you are looking to create aquatic dragon like creatures perhaps you could take inspiration from the triassic Nothosaurs

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

I also made a sketch of what Welkynd Spirits could look like.

griff
PT Modder

Post by griff »

Nice sketch my friend.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

worsas wrote:
SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR wrote:Perhaps there could be prehistoric earthly creatures in Cyrodiil. Many Permian amphibians and mammal like reptiles look very bizarre such as Diplocaulus or Dimetradon.
These could be of some inspiration for river dragons later.
There's something regarding lake serpents in the Rumare and Niben. Lake snakes.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

griff wrote:Nice sketch my friend.
Thank you, I hope to do more. I am very interested in these projects but I'm not that great with huge projects worked on by multiple people, I may do some interiors but I am happy to draw concept art for these projects and I can also create decent textures if you need them.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

Here is another drawing of a Welkynd Spirit.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR wrote:Here is another drawing of a Welkynd Spirit.
We already have a welkynd spirit at our disposal. See here

Symbiote Dinosaur, I don't want to be rude, but at this point you are cluttering up our creatures - thread rather than offering really valuable input. You would be better off opening a thread in the showcase forum and working with us towards enhancing your abilities at doing concept drawings. They are currently not offering a fair lot of help at creature design, although I believe to see a few interesting ideas on this welkynd spirit drawing.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

That is okay. The model you already have looks a bit more like a spirit, my idea was for them to look like some type of humanoid atronach.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

If you were interested in supporting us with some interiors, it would be highly appreciated. Creature concepts, even if appreciated, are not a huge priority at the moment. As said, feel invited to make your showcase, if you are interested in helping us and we'll see.

Melchior Dahrk
Lyithdonea Admin

Post by Melchior Dahrk »

worsas wrote:We already have a welkynd spirit at our disposal. See here
I know this isn't value-added to this thread... but, HOT DAMN! I hadn't seen that thing before! Looks fantastic. I bet alpha settings were/are a pain in the neck though.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

Perhaps some creatures in the Abeacean sea could take inspiration from prehistoric life as well. Some Silurian aquatic life looks unique and interesting, especially if the goal is to make the creatures look alien like they do on Vvardenfell. Image
Some Devonian flora also looks interesting.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Those two pictures are really lovely. Nice stuff. I think that Blackmarsh and for Cyrodiil the Blackwood region would be the areas most likely taking advantage from devonian "designs".

Prehistoric wildlife is something I specifically wanted to look into for Skyrim, with mammoth and saber tooth cat being some kind of prevalence. At least I'm thinking of adding a cave bear and maybe a black-feathered, cranky prehistoric half-lizard-half-bird of some kind.

In extension I would like to point out that the alienness of Cyrodiil should be a very different alienness, not like the morrowind one. Rather than doing much with dinosaur-like lizards, crustaceans and insects, the general direction seems to be to work with classical mammal wildlife and other more classical fantasy creatures and giving them a twist of their own.

SYMBIOTE DINOSAUR
Forumite

Ah I see. I think some prehistoric mammals could possibly look alien, Macrauchenia for example.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Let's narrow this down to what we have/need for now.

Sealife: with the different varieties of fish, the Lamia, and the Dreugh, we have a nice selection of watery wildlife. A greater one than the original game, in fact. Possible additions would be creatures mentioned in Morrowind dialogue, but not encountered: the Dreugh Man O' War, the Electric and Blind Slaughterfish, etc. Versions of these already float around in the community. Further along, there will be a need for unique water life in the Niben and lake Rumare (Lake Serpents).

Shorelife: Mudcrabs, for now. I would be interested in seeing at least on or two different kinds of seaside shore dwellers, perhaps a smaller, non-hostile kind of crab, or a Land Dreugh for higher levels. Mudcrabs everywhere is getting kind of boring. The Carnelian Sea-Slug idea was meant for the south-Niben only, but perhaps some kind of cousin creature could show up on Cyrodiil's northern shores. These would also be important for grottos, of which we have scores in the Anvil release.

Wildlife: (both for the overworld and wildlife caves) we have a fair selection of Colovian creatures, such as the bear, wolves, and wilderness varieties of the donkeys, horses, and cows. Most of these feel too much like Highlands creatures to me, though, and don't really fit in for the Gold Coast (and definitely not for a small island like Stirk). For these environments, I think a goat or sheep-like creature would be ideal. Saint_Jiub's hawkhound and owlpug would also be very valuable additions, not only for the wilds, but also in domesticated settings. In the long run, Colovia would also benefit from boars and deer - or at least, creatures that fill these ecological niches. Why is this important? Because a place where every cranny is filled with wolves, bears and rats is kind of weird. Speaking of which, one or more Cyrodiilic rat varieties would be nice, especially if they look like they belong on the surface.

Of course, a whole new slew of creatures will be needed for the eastern regions, but that's not a concern for now.

Colovian Tombs: arguably the easiest dungeon type to fill with enemies. We already have Cyrodiilic ghosts and ghost guardians, and a wraith should not be very hard to add. We also have our walking mummy. Different kinds of skeletons would not be out of place (Crippled, Archer, Champion, ...) We can add Colovian-style armor and clothing scraps to the basic mummy and skeleton creatures to create variations: this is not a difficult modelling job.

Old Imperial Ruins: for the moment, there's not really an unique culture or creature type associated with these ruins. Of course, ghosts, wraiths, and skeletons can haunt these halls no problem - more undead, but in this case I don't think we have many other options. In the long run, I would like to use these ruins to showcase First and Second Empire Imperial culture, which was bizarre and unsettling in its own way. For starters, there are Kirkbride concept art designs for Reman Era Legion armor, which can be used both for unique loot and enemies. Imperial mages of this era were big on necromancy, something to keep in mind. And this is the heyday of Akaviri influences on Cyrodiil, so high-level enemies in these ruins could include immortal vampire snakemen.

Modern Imperial Ruins: ghosts & skeletons dressed up in Imperial Legion outfits. Yeah, that should do it. Won;t have too many of these, anyhow.

Ayleid Ruins: Daedra, for starters. The Ayleid were big on summoning, and we don't have many other location types that can feature Daedra in Cyrodiil (except the temples of the Nibenay, possibly). I would put the focus on Atronach types, which feel most in line with the Ayleid esthetic. Besides the three basic types, we could feature Antares' Frost Monarch, which is a (lore-friendly) higher rank of Frost Atronach, and maybe even create other "monarch" types for the Flame and Storm gents. Other than them, most Daedra should be scarce save in shrines dedicated to their patron Prince. An exception would be the Aurorans, servants of Meridia, who is the patron Prince of the Ayleid.

Besides the Daedra, the Ayled ruins should also have Dwemer-style culturally specific creatures. The Welkynd Spirit is a good start. I would also like to see one or two varieties of Redeemed Servants, mortal slaves wrapped in enchantments and flesh-torture to serve the Ayleid as guards and messengers. An Ayleid-style lich variety should not be very difficult, provided we have a good guide on Ayleid armor and clothing styles (in line with the relevant claims). Lastly, the undead Ayleid sorceror-kings, whose role would be similar to that of the Ash Vampire in the Sixth House: powerful, uniquely named enemies who only appear in the depths of the largest and most dangerous palaces. See: Umaril.

Moritius
PT Modder

Post by Moritius »

About crabs, there's somewhere heremit crab model (iirc I saw it in Abot's Water Life mod).

Edit///Nvm, what about Will-o-the-Wisp?
<ThomasRuz> A cleansing potion, with a nasty side-effect
<rotouns> Drain Spear 50 / 3600s
<ThomasRuz> We shall call it... the potion of impotency!

Return to “P:C Cyrodiil Discussion”