[PC_q2_GC08_Journal] Clisius' Lucky Dagger [WellTemperedClavier]

Claimed work is Reviewed here before being marked as Complete
Violet
Lead Dev

[PC_q2_GC08_Journal] Clisius' Lucky Dagger [WellTemperedClavier]

Post by Violet »

PC_q2_GC08_Journal - Clisius' Lucky Dagger

Quest Description:

Clisius Hermontar, one of the fishermen in the shacks east of Anvil accidentally knocked his lucky dagger over into the river the other day, and he's been complaining about it ever since. He's looked for it, but it must've washed downstream, and he'll tell you that Miris saw the whole thing if you don't believe him. His neighbor, Miris, asks you to follow the river and see if you can't find it for him so that he'll stop moaning about it. You'll find the dagger washed up on the shore of the island that sits at the river's mouth guarded by a land dreugh, which apparently has decided to claim it as his own. Kill or evade the dreugh, grab the dagger, and return it to the fisherman. You'll get some fish as a reward for your efforts.

WellTemperedClavier
PT Modder

Post by WellTemperedClavier »

I'm interested in doing this quest.

WellTemperedClavier
PT Modder

I have a playable version of Clisius' Lucky Dagger.

I created a unique dagger and a unique land dreugh. The land dreugh is scaled slightly larger than average (1.20), but is otherwise the same as a normal version. The land dreugh can be found just east of the Olomachus ruin, in the -123, -54 exterior cell.

The quest will also work if the player picks up the dagger before speaking with Clisius. The relevant journal entry will describe the dagger as having "Hermontar" engraved on the hilt. NPCs in Anvil will not know who Clisius is, but since he's clearly not well-known, will suggest asking patrons of the poorer taverns. NPCs in the Flowing Bowl and Sailor's Fluke will know who Clisius is and where to find him. NPCs tagged as fishermen in Anvil or the Gold Coast will also know where Clisius can be found.
Attachments
Clean PC_Q2_GC08_ClisiusLuckyDagger.ESP
(16.33 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Denis418
Denis

Post by Denis418 »

Hello! Here's my playtest (Breton 14, Vanilla):

- The quest has no name in the journal.
- Miris will the say the same -> Miris will say the same -- in this dialogue.
- This journal entry lacks a period in the end.
- Passed down my family -> passed down through my family (I am very uncertain that it's a typo) in this dialogue.
- No topic to return the dagger to Clisius. Couldn't finish the quest.

General feedback: the dialogue is great, as always. It gives characters to Clisius and Miris which is very much appreciated. I also personally enjoy that this quest crosses ways with my (first and only) quest, The Fortune of a Traveling Merchant. The latter sends you to explore the source of Petty Strid, while your quest sends you in the opposite direction - to explore the mouth of the river. The comments Clisius and Miris have in TFoaTM also don't contradict their dialogue in the Clisius Lucky Dagger. The fight with the dreugh goes well, and there are plenty of rocks to hop around and use them in combat. Well done!
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,
because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

WellTemperedClavier
PT Modder

Thanks for the review! I fixed the errors and tested it. Seems to have everything, now.
Attachments
PC_Q2_GC08_ClisiusLuckyDagger.ESP
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

Denis418
Denis

Post by Denis418 »

Some more feedback after a new playtest:

- I'm afraid, theres a dialogue loop when you press the lucky dagger topic again after finishing the quest in CLisius' favor.
- I think, the name of the quest should be changed to Hermontar Lucky Dagger, since when you start it by picking up the dagger, you only know the last name of the quest giver from the hilt engravement. Having 'Clisius' in the name of the quest gives meta information to the player.
- If you choose to keep the dagger but then give it back to Clisius, he doesn't give you fish. Though, the journal says, he does.

This quest turned to be more complex and versatile than it was origionally envisioned, which is cool :)
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,
because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

WellTemperedClavier
PT Modder

I made the changes requested. The dialogue loop has been closed. There's also an alternate journal state that you get if you don't immediately hand over the dagger, which reflects the lack of a reward in such a scenario. The quest has also been renamed as "The Hermontar Dagger".
Attachments
PC_Q2_GC08_TheHermontarDagger.ESP
(17.18 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Taniquetil
Site Admin

Post by Taniquetil »

Clisius Hermontar and Miris now live in the small village of Hal Sadek, which was built up around their houses. The quest should be unaffected, but reviewer should make some dialogue edits as necessary to recognize that these NPCs are now in a settlement
A far green country, under a swift sunrise
she/her

WellTemperedClavier
PT Modder

I'm trying to adjust this quest to fit with the new map. For some reason, I can't reliably delete dialogue/journal entries with TESAME any longer (to clarify, entries that I delete don't necessarily stay deleted even when I save over the file). Does anyone have suggestions on what to do? Is there a different program I should use?

Thanks.

WellTemperedClavier
PT Modder

So, my understanding here is that the reviewer will be taking over the quest. Please disregard my above post.

Return to “Reviewing”